We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

We will be in Abu Dhabi from 30th Nov flying out on Dec 3rd

I understand that it is National Day on Dec 2nd

From what I hear most areas will be hectic, fun Mad !! What area could we stay so that we can get out and about but still see the fun.

Do the busses still run ?

What can we do

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,285 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

I was in Abu Dhabi last year for National Day. There was lots of different events including fireworks, UAE Aerobatic Display (similar to red arrows), dancing and the worlds largest flying aerial flag. Stayed in the Emirates Palace which was in a central location to see the celebrations. Not sure what is going to happen this year, check the internet before you go for the latest event information. Have a look at my trip report and photographs which goes into last years celebrations in more detail:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294013-i3754-k5…

Enjoy!

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

Dec 2 & 3 would be holidays most of Abudhabi, just Dec 2 for Dubai (private sectors). It is just another week-end type day, nothing to be concerned. On the contrary, there would be some special events and fireworks specially in Abudhabi, that you can enjoy. Public transport and taxi runs all days.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

Definitely 2nd and 3rd. Corniche area is where most of the "fun" (dangerous driving, decorated cars and squrting of silly string) is at, although there are have been car parades on Yas Island and air displays. There are usually huge traffic jams, roads gets closed so it is best to walk and stay near the Corniche.

Personally I find the stupid behaviour on the roads something to avoid and plan to be out of town...

Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

thanks you :) looks like where ever I stay I will be not going far

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

You call it a Celebration, or Festival or Madness, or Rude behaviour, it is worth watching National Day Car Procession on 2nd Dec. at Corniche Road (West).

I love the madness celebration of National Day in Abu Dhabi. Though every year they say, it will not happen in Corniche Road and it will be moved to Yas Island, but still it is happening on Corniche Road.

If you walk along side the Corniche Road from Sheraton Hotel to Hilton Hotel, and you will see different colours of Celebration.

Emirates Place and Jumeira Towers are good choice. You can watch the celebration as well as easy to get out of City through the Bainuah Street which is just opposite to Emirates Palace.

Make sure you are not travelling, few Roads inside the city, such as Corniche Road, Mina Zayed, Salam Street, Hamdan Street, and Electra Street. If you stay other places you can easily get out of the city.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 07:09
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

What Jeya says is right regarding venues of National Day but I think it will still go on at the Corniche as lots of other National Day events go on there like sand building competitions, air shows, best decorated cars ( out of the parade) clasic car competitions, traditional UAE dhow racing , traditional UAE dancing ( even at the malls) so where ever you go in the UAE there will be celebrations going on.

The best part is watching all the famlies decorate their homes in flags and whatever, it has become a bit of a competition in the past few years even with houses having lit up Eid greeting signs. A really BIG must see event in the UAE. The holiday lasts for two days and the events go on for 40 days before the day ( with different events) climax reaching on actual day.

People usually park their cars away from the Corniche, and walk to the Corniche as otherwise you won't be able to get in to take until next day!! Taxi might not want to even venture inside in order not to get stuck. Emirates Palace usually has a firework display after 8 pm and Dubai has a massive one that most people go to. Expats always join in the fun !

Edited: 04 August 2013, 15:35
Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

Thanks all, decided to go for it and booked an apartment near the Corniche.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,285 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

That's great, you will have a excellent time. Please report back when you return. Enjoy!

Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

Will do :) Thanks for all the advice .

10. Re: Where to stay and what to do -- it will be National Day !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:17