We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer thinking of going in May

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
first timer thinking of going in May

I am a solo traveler thinking of visiting Abu Dhabi in May, i have 2 weeks free and to be honest i have no idea where to start looking as i have never traveled to this part of the world before.

A hotel with a beach is preferred but not essential, i am looking for a relaxing holiday with a few trip/excursions also.

Any suggestions would be great

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,497 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

May is a perfect time weather wise to visit the UAE. I personally would aim to spend at least one week out of your two weeks holiday in Dubai which has so much more to see and do.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

Whether you stay in Dubai or Abu Dhabi ( the Capital), it takes only an hour and 15 mins to reach Dubai, a little more if going into the center. Thursdays -going to Dubai, the roads are very busy as people working in Abu Dhabi spend the weekends with their families and on Saturday evenings they return. ( Thursday night here is like Friday night abroad and weekend holidays would be Fridays and Saturdays, work on Sunday-Thursday.)

If you are staying in Abu Dhabi, there are many hotel choices. Rotana Beach Hotel is smack bang in the center of Abu Dhabi, walking access to the beach behind, on the front-walking access to Abu Dhabi Malls, popular restaurants and easy access to Taxis that can take you -just a few minutes or so to the Corniche where all the action is, from there you can see Emirates Palace, Marina Mall, and the Marina Itself, including the scenic breakwater area where the night sky observatory is located. You can get helicopters rides near the Marina, you can even go on bus tours, tickets available at Marina Mall.

There is a lot of activity going on at the Corniche, you can hire quad bikes, bicycles, tricycles, whatever there to ride along the long corniche and enjoy the magnificent waters there.

You could even cross the road from there to visit the shops and restaurants near by or eat in the Food Court at Marina Mall which has a huge selection of fast food restaurants to chose from. Also ask about the tour of the Grand Mosque. Don't forget to take a visit to Yas Island and Ferrari World too!

During the week, you could go to Dubai and visit Atlantis, Burj Khalifa, Dragon Mart-the biggest Asian market in the Middle East, Emirate Mall, ski world there, and Wild Wadi water world.

For magnificent natural sceneries, winding mountain roads, and beautiful beaches, Khor Fakkan and Fujeirah..these are also a scuba man's dream area!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

People who live in UAE usually think of May as being cool. For UK visitors it is usually too hot (around 100F daily).

Check the links on the right of this page for suggestions for hotels with beaches.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

The weather is not an issue, it is one of the main reason for going.

Can anyone help with hotels, I am looking for something fairly casual, I don't need the 5star treatment but a nice hotel would be good , I have looked at the intercontinental and the le meridian (i think)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

There are lots of high quality hotels, you will be spoilt for choice. Also consider the Hilton which is pretty close to the Intercontinental but in a slightly better location.

May be interested in my Abu Dhabi trip report and photographs as well:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294013-i3754-k5…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

Thanks welsh, I will have a look later

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

Hotel choices are plenty, you have to narrow it down, by cost , location, convenience, amenities.

Le Meridien is dated, if the choice is Le Royal Meridien, then better.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

Le Meridien, Hilton and Sheraton are all slightly older hotels, but have beaches so can be good value for money. All are good locations in the city, so easy for bus or short taxi rides to most places you would want to visit. It depends on the cost you can get it for, but I would prefer the InterContinental as this is newer (went back to bare concrete shell for its renovation a few years ago). It also has its own marina and the beach is separate to the pool, more spacious. Le Royal Meridien has a pool but no beach - and similarly dated like the Hilton. It is a good location though, near the Corniche. Sofitel Corniche is fabuous and only about 1 year old. Beach Rotana is getting a bit tired too IMO but has a beach. All the hotels I have mentioned have good restaurants.

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

Hi, we stayed at the Khalidiya Palace in November for 10 nights that was nice and not far from the Marina Mall and over the road from Emirates Palace.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timer thinking of going in May

Khalidiya Palace is close to Marina Mall, Emirates Palace, Jumeira Etihad Towers, Corniche, etc. But it is a Dry Hotel, no alcohol served inside the hotel.