We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover- is a free Dubai transfer worth it?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight layover- is a free Dubai transfer worth it?

I'm landing in Abu Dhabi at 10 pm on a Sunday, and leaving at 9:45am Monday. I know we are going to leave the airport for a few hours. Ethaid offers a free transfer service from the Abu Dhabi airport to their office in Dubai- abudhabiairport.ae/english/to-and-from-the-a…

I'm wondering if this will be worth it. I know it can take up to two hours to clear customs and another 2 to go back through security. They also said on their website the transfer takes about an hour each way- so after those 6 hours, I would have just under 5 hours in Dubai. This is not terrible- but I'm wondering if going to Dubai at 1am is really worth all of the hassle, or are we better off spending more time over night in Abu Dhabi? We will not be getting a hotel room and we do not want to stay in the airport the entire time.

Thank you!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover- is a free Dubai transfer worth it?

I've never flown into/out of AD airport, only through it, so I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if it would take so long to get out - it doesn't take that long at Dubai and Dubai takes a long time sometimes.

I asume you are checked through to your destination so won't have luggage and won't have to check in again for your onward flight?

I would do the trip in Dubai since it's free. You can get dropped off by the Etihad bus then take a taxi (easy to find) to whatever sights you want to see then back to the Etihad office for the return bus. There are places around the Etihad office were you can get something to eat or drink during the night if you want to. Just know where you want to go by taxi rather than getting in and asking him to show you the sites. Taxis are safe, metered and cheap so no issue there.

You'll be dropped off near Burj Khalifa so that's worth a short hop in a taxi. You'll see the tall towers of Dubai Marina on your way in/out of Dubai so no need to go there. You could also ask a taxi to take you to Dubai Creek for a wander around there (old part of the city) and to Burj al Arab. Dubai is a very safe city so you don't have to worry about wandering around in the middle of the night.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover- is a free Dubai transfer worth it?

It won't take 2 hrs to clear the customs. In average it takes 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the airport is very crowded then it may take maximum 1:30 hrs, it never took 2 hrs for me in the last 15 years, also you will be transiting through T3, it is exclusively for Etihad flights.

By the time you arrive, their 9:30pm coach must have left, you can only catch their 10:30pm last coach, it arrives at 12:50am in dubai.

You have to do some research and make a list of things that you want to do or see while in Dubai. Then when you reach Dubai by Etihad coach, take a metered taxi, go to the places in your list and come back to Etihad Travel Mall Dubai. You will have minimum 6 hours to see Dubai at night.

The same goes to Abu Dhabi, however you will not get any coach facility from Etihad to come Abu Dhabi City. You need to take a taxi or Public transportation, and they are very cheap. Dubai has a vast area to cover. Abu Dhabi city area is smaller compared to Dubai. Both the cities are safe to travel and walk during night.

You need to be in Abu Dhabi airport by 8:15 am, so it is better to take the 6:00am coach from Dubai.

Etihad Coach schedule is here:

https:/…Etihad-Travel-Mall-Coach-Schedule.pdf

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight layover- is a free Dubai transfer worth it?

JeyaB and Kali737, thank you both for your helpful responses!! I think we will try to go to Dubai for the night!

4. Re: Overnight layover- is a free Dubai transfer worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:16