We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Topic
Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

Well, where do I begin? It is unbelievable what goes on outside of the more publicised and known hotels and bars.

I could go on these type of Bar Crawls every Thursday night. A throughly enjoyable night where you can have a laugh - unlike in prententious and/or crap places such as Rock Bottom, Zenith and Sax. The latter 2 quite definetly house the most pretentious, idiotic people in Abu Dhabi, they also follow the most idiotic door rules as well.

So, the seedy/sleazy/underground bar crawl.

Started off in the Ally Pally (Al Ain Palace Hotel) - A bit like downtown China, but a decent bar, good AC, not smoke filled. Nice bogs.

Off to the Howard Johnson Hotel after here. Christ; Where do I begin?

Cellar Bar: Stunk, band were awful. 2 urinals in the blokes bogs. No idea where you're supposed to go if you happen to need a number 2.

Upstairs to Floor 18. No idea of the bar name. The number 1 Star Wars Canteen. 4 scantily clad women dancing on the stage. 2 of them stunning I may add - poor girls. 30 blokes sitting peering. Toilets stunk. No cubical. 4 urine filled urinals. Magic.

Upstairs again to Safari Bar. A decent enough "themed" bar to fit in with the African theme. Decent enough band as well. No cubicals in the toilets though.

Emirates Plaza Hotel:

Manilla Bar: 10dhs in if you're a Fillipino, 50dhs in if you're everyone else. Told them to stuff it.

African Bar. Few birds dancing, a singer. One bloke who wasn't that keen on seeing "non-regulars". One toilet - A cubical (Hurrah!) - Also housing a urinal, in the same toilet. Presumbably so you don't annoy the women by weeing on the toilet seat...

Bangldeshi Bar: Just had a peer in here - looked like a Social Club.

Novotel:

Blitz - Smoke filled club, destroys my eyes everythign I go in. star wars canteen once again, lagging behind Howard Johnson Floor 18 by a long way. Often go in here as the band is really good. Bogs are relatively ok as well...

Saba Hotel.

Iranian Bar. Banned before we could even get through the door. Magic.

Blue Nile Nightclub. Scantily clad african girls wriggling to the beat, whilst lots of blokes sit peering. A blind man worked out the bars design. Awful. Packed as well. Didn't sample the bogs.

Pakistani nightclub. A room full of taxi drivers watching 3 girls dance. Just had a peer in here.

Meridien - Galouises. Often a regular nightclub attendance for a few of the chaps - not bad music either! Nice bogs as well.

I reckon we covered pretty much all of the seedy/sleazy places - Not as seedy and sleazy as we thought they were going to be, but an overall good night. Highly recommended.

:D

Emirates Tours and Safaris
City Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Cultural Tours
Oceanair Travels
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris, Private Tours
Hala Abu Dhabi - Private Day Tours
Water Sports, Safaris, Private Tours
Abu Dhabi Desert Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Glen Morangie
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

You must have been touching cloth by the time you got to EP African bar. Interesting angle on the reportage: focusing on the plumbing arrangements rather than the quality of the libation. Did you get the impression that the cubicles have been removed to stop 'goings on'. Also, if you'd had a pint in every establishment before the Iranian bar, is it any wonder they prevented you from entering? All in all, this little scenario must have sorely reminded you of Newcastle except that the toilets were better in Scabby Dhabi and the scantily clad birds remained inside the buildings.

Glen Morangie
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

Oh, and there was no fisticuffs.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

I left out alot of the nights happenings as this is a public forum. I don't fancy being done for libel or something similar.

Fortunately I wasn't needing to take the kids to the pool, it was just an observation during the crawl.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

yes but which one do u think is the most sleazy of the lot????????

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

Unfortunately, Liam is no longer among us, so you will have to go and find out for yourself!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

WHERE IS LIAM? Has he left the country? we shall miss his advice!!

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

He's gone! Went a few weeks back for good, it seems.

8. Re: Abu Dhabi Seedy/Sleazy/"Underground" Bar Crawl Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Abu Dhabi