We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay

manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay

I am staying two nights in Abu Dhabi on 23-25th November and I want something that is quite central, somewhere where I can see a few sights but that isn't too expensive. I am looking to spend £300 for the two nights. I have seen quite a few hotels in this price range but I don't know which is the best location. I'm just looking to relax and unwind for the two nights. Thanks 😊

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where to stay

You can imagine AD as having broadly three areas:

1. Yas Island, which is near the airport and about 20 miles away from the city. Great as a self-contained resort with hotels, marina, beaches, water world and the F1 circuit..

2. the city centre, with the Corniche, beaches, restaurants. Older and more authentic

3. about half-way, containing newer areas such as Al Raha, Capital Gate, etc and close to the grand mosque

Buses and taxis are dirt cheap so you're never in the wrong place, but it may be worth choosing somewhere close to the things you really want to see and do, so you don't waste too much time travelling. Taxis are about 50p/mile plus £4 starting from the airport, and buses 30p per trip.

November is high season because of the nicer weather but you should be able to get something nice for that price. You might even fine cheaper if you just want a clean bed to crash in. Don't forget to add service charge and tax.

What have you found so far ? And what would you like to do ... get out and see stuff or just veg on the beach/pool ?

manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where to stay

Hi, thank you for you're response I have found that helpful.

I am doing a trip to bali, and this is the destination to change over, so I thought I may as well spend a couple of days exploring another city so I haven't done much research on the city as such so excuse my ignorance.

As you say the taxis and bus services are cheap then I guess getting about the city is quite easy. I will be a lone female travelling - would this be okay? I haven't researched on that side of things yet.

I think nice scenery maybe a pool or a nice beach to travel to, maybe fitting in a cultural/historic building like an old mosque would be great.

I have been having a look at the southern sun, centro al manhal by rotana, hala arjaan by rotana, Hilton capital and the cristal hotel. So as you can see I am looking at a few and I'm trying to narrow my selection down!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where to stay

In that case I think you're better off in the city itself. Yas and Al Raha are nice but you could be at any new resort anywhere in the world .. unless you're into cars and motorsport, etc.

Find a hotel in the city with a pool and maybe its own beach club, although the public beach is perfectly ok.

Of the hotels you mention, the Hala and Cristal are dry and have indoor pools (targeting the Muslim market), and the Hilton is a little way out of the centre. Have a look at the reviews here and the hotels' websites. Nothing is further than a couple of quid in a taxi from the beach or the malls.

The grand mosque is absolutely beautiful and a must do. It isn't old at all; less than 10 years :) Look at the website for opening hours and dress code. Otherwise plenty of malls, parks. Kayaking in the mangroves would be good at that time of year. Check out the attractions reviewed here on TA.

Travelling as a lone female is absolutely a non issue. I think this was discussed other day on another thread. Just dress appropriately .. swimwear on the beach & by the pool, t-shirt and long shorts elsewhere. November weather will be lovely but it can get chilly indoors as everywhere has the a/c set to fast freeze.

Hope that helps.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where to stay

i have same plan as you .

Please advise me

manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where to stay

Kayaking...! That really sounds up my street! I had a flick through the attractions but there was a few and I didn't see that, and right at the top was the grand mosque which does seem like it is a must do!

You mention a dry bar, is it just alcohol? I saw a thread on this the other day and that's all I saw about it. If it just doesn't serve alcohol then it won't bother me, or am I missing something else? And I'm a chilly person so I will always be carry a cardigan of some sort haha!

Thanks again for your help

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on where to stay

Kayaking is very cool. The mangroves are only 10 mins from the city centre and they usually go for a couple of hours in the early morning so you don't waste a whole day.

'Dry' hotels don't serve alcohol and won't have a bar as such. They'll have restaurants and coffee shops and will serve juices etc and mocktails. There are many, many hotels with bars, pubs and clubs if you need a drink or fancy a night out. Time Out Abu Dhabi (TOAD) and http://thecapitallist.ae/abu-dhabi-nightlife/ will give you an idea.

@Anas s ... do you have a specific question ??

7. Re: Advice on where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16