We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
Top 10 places to go in Yemen

We are thinking of going to Yemen after Christmas. What are the top 10 places / things to see and do there. We are middle aged (early 50s) fit but not adventure junkies - suggestions please - Peter - with thanks

Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

or what places would you suggest we go in Yemen ?

Ankara, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Dear Peter,

This would be my list of a top 10 in Yemen:

1. Sana’a – Maybe it is because I live here, but nothing beats the Suq and alleys of the old City in Sana’a – make sure you have a couple of days here to explore all the alleyways and that you have sufficient space in the suitcase to do some shopping.

2. Shibam and Seiyun – The Manhattan of Arabia with mud houses up to 10 stories high. One of the four UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Yemen (the others being Old Sana’a, Zabid and Socotra). When there I suggest that you stay at the Al Hawta Palace Hotel – and old renovated estate – a bit pricy but worth it.

3. Socotra – right now it is rainy season and therefore not advisable to go there, but it will be fine in December. More than 300 endemic species of flora and 200 endemic species of insects. Most famous for the dragon blood tree.

4. Take the trip from Seiyun to Mukalla over land – the Wadi is stunning.

5. Ibb – most beautiful during the rainy season (right now, which is July) but also very nice the rest of the year. Terraced farming area. Possible to visit Jibla from here.

6. Aden – a nice break away from all the driving in four-wheel driven cars – use some time to relax on the beach. For swimming in the Indian Ocean the Sheraton is the best

7. Manakha and Hajjara – a nice day trip from Sana’a

8. Ta’iz – Fourth biggest city in Yemen and though the Suq does not have the charm of Sana’a it is a very nice city to be in.

9. Thulla and Kawkabam. Two nice small villages in easy reach from Sana’a.

10. Zabid – I have not been there but would love to go.

Besides this there is of course also Marib but is currently not advisable to go there do to the somewhat lawless nature of the area.

I hope that this will help you in starting to plan your trip. Feel free to contact me should you need more information.

Henrik

Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
318 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Hey Peter, do what Henrik told you to do and visit all those cities. You will have a great time. I lived there and this is unbelivably beautiful country.

Yemenis are the most hospitable people I came accross.

Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Dera Henrik, the detail you have given is is great and thank you so much for the reply. We went to Oman and thought Yemen also sounds good.

Peter

Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Because of the Flood situation the overland route

between Sanaa to Seiyun is suspended.All journeys are by air.

We are sending a team of 5 paxs from the Arab Association of S'pore to join the Mercy Mission to assist and volunteer.

They are leaving on the 10 NOV and some will be returning on the 23 and 25 NOV.

You can contact me at

harharah@gmail.com

mastravel@pacific.net.sg

65-67378877 (office)

#06-45 Tanglin Shopping- S'pore 247909

Will be informed more when the team return.

Regards.

Mohd Harharah

Solo
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Hi all.

What about Hadramaut? Is ther any intererting things to see? What about village called Sewon? has anybody hear about this?

Ankara, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

[What about Hadramaut? Is ther any intererting things to see? What about village called Sewon? has anybody hear about this?]

There is plenty to see in Hadramout - I think that the village that you are refering to is Seiyun which is in the Wadi Hadramout area close to Shibam and Tarim - All three towns (calling them villages does not really do them justice) can be visited at the same time. Felix Air has flights to Seiyun every two days or so and the ticket is around 200 dollars for a return ticket.

I was in Seiyun, Tarim and Shibam last week and though all three towns have been hit hard by the flooding, the water has now retracted and reconstruction has started. So I think that you should go to Hadramout - with the tourism hit hard by the flooding and before that by security issues they could use more tourists and the wadi area will always be worth a visit. If you go there you should stay at the Al Hawta Palace Hotel.

Solo
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Many thanks Hendrikash

New Zealand
Level Contributor
30 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

I've just spent 3 weeks im Yemen and would agree with what has been said/written above.

Yanbu, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 10 places to go in Yemen

Dear Peter,

I would like to know if you had travelled the road between Mukalla, Yemen and Salalah, Oman? Is it a paved road? Do I need a 4x4 drive vehicle or can I manage with a 4WD?

Thanks.

Fuad

Get answers to your questions about Yemen
Recent Conversations