We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Uruguay?

SANTA BARBARA
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Uruguay?

I've read several postings about problems with street crime in Uruguay, especially in Montevideo. Does anyone out there know if this is alarmist or if there is a genuine crime problem in the streets of the cities in Uruguay? My wife and I are planning a to spend a few days in Montevideo and Colonia before going on to Buenos Aires. Should we skip Uruguay and head streit for B.A.? We are experienced travelers but do not want to visit a place where we fear for our safety. Any current info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Eyejay

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Uruguay?

You have information about Montevideo´s crime rate and not about the one in Buenos Aires? In Montevideo there are some dark steets in the old town you should avoid at nights, because there are homeless people, as in any big city. The pedestrian street near there are very nice in summer nights on week-ends, with lots of bars with tables on the sidewalk. Other places you might go by cab from the hotel(restaurantes, theatre, etc)can be really nice with nice, fine people. Avoid the Cerro, the nicest view of the town is sorrounded by poor neighbourhood which could be a problem (regular city tours don´t go there anymore)

2. Re: Safety in Uruguay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 02:16