We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please? Where shall I go?

Bristol
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Advice please? Where shall I go?

Hi There,

I am about to plan a round the world trip and would like to visit South America but i have no clue where to start and places to visit!

I will probably be spending about 3 weeks there before moving on but I am flexible with timescales so if i need longer, i will stay for longer.

I want to fit in as much as possible and I would like to visit some places with some great culture, rather than the usual tourist places where everyone goes... Maybe go off the beaten track slightly but staying as safe as possible (especially as i may be travelling alone!)

Can anyone give any recommendations please?! And maybe an idea of timescales to spend in these places?

Many thanks!

Sarah

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
506 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please? Where shall I go?

Your request is kind of vague: you don´t mention if have been already in Southamerica at all. If not, and you are mostly interested in culture, why don´t you look at UNESCO´s world heritago sites; in that list you see the most interesting places evey country has. There are natural reserves, if you like nature, or historical sites, with nice architecture, etc. In Argentina, for example, there are glaciers, waterfalls, coloured hills in the north, and big metropoles, like Buenos Aires, with plenty of museums of art. Uruguay has a coastline with incredible beaches, sea wolves, safety, convenient exchange... I dont´know about other soutamerican countries, hope this helps you for the start! Good luck!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,374 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please? Where shall I go?

I believe there are 13 countries in South America, 9 Spanish-speaking, Brazil, Suriname, Guyana and French Guiana. If by "great culture" you're referring to ancient culture and ruins, I suggest Lima, Cuzco, and Machu Pichu in Peru. Also, Ecuador and Colombia have a great history and plenty of places to visit. You shouldn't miss Buenos Aires (lots of museums, theater, etc.). For eco-tourism, maybe Iquitos in Peru and Galapagos in Ecuador, although there are many other places.

Uruguay has fantastic beaches as does Brazil.

If you give us a better idea of what you're looking for in terms of culture, we may be able to help you better. I will also help if you tell us for which time of the year you're planning your visit. Some places, like Machu Pichu can't be visited in rainy season.

3. Re: Advice please? Where shall I go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 07:17