We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

VMTraveler
3 posts
Save Topic
Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

Hi All,

We're stopping in Colonia del Sacramento for the day and then heading to Carmelo for 2 days- any advice on things to do see, eat, explore....We're up for anything...Help please!

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

Don´t miss Irurtia winecellar in Carmelo. They are excellent! There you also will find out abut a wine club in Carmelo, inaugurated recently by all the wineries of the area together.

Things to see around Carmelo are: Punta Gorda, the meeting of the 3 rivers Paraná. Uruguay and la Plata,(Charles Darwin was there watching birds and native plants) the Narbona chapel, fine restaurant, and the jesuitic ruins of "Calera de las huérfanas.

VMTraveler
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

Fabulous thank you - we're very excited to begin our trip there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

There are three wineries in the Carmelo area: Los Cerros de San Juan; Irurtia; and Zubizaretta (aka Casa de Aitona). Hours of operation vary considerably depending on the time of year of your visit. If you are accustomed to American-style wineries, you'll be surprised at the difference in a winery tour in Uruguay. Generally speaking, just popping in for a taste is not "done;" expect a full tour followed by tasting and often a "picada," (platter of various salumi-type sausages, prosciutto (called Jamon Crudo here), cheeses and bread/crackers. Also, there may be a substantial charge, especially at Los Cerros, where the cost can be as much as $35 per person.

A fantastic restaurant in Colonia is La Florida at the bridge entering the Old City.

In Carmelo, the locals eat at Piccolino and, on Sundays, Lo Korrea, where you'll enjoy all-you-can-eat chicken and raviolis in a large warehouse-like room. The menu is fixed but delicious and you won't find any atmosphere more "local."

Send me an e-mail if you'd like more information.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

Carmelouruguay, I just emailed you, but figured I'd ask my questions here in case other people are looking for information.

I'm going to be in Carmelo for 2 days/3 nights in May, and am wondering how to best organize some wine tasting before I arrive. Is it simply a matter of setting up a remis for the day and emailing a couple wineries? Can you do two in a day? And can you recommend a company for a driver?

And is anything within walking distance of the four seasons, or would we need to arrange a driver? (Or perhaps they have bikes there? We're big walkers/bikers as opposed to driving, but I understand the wineries could be hard to find.)

Also, I'm wondering how close the town/outside restaurants are to the four seasons--is Finca Narbona within 30-40 minutes walk, for example? Or the town?

We like the idea of the four seasons but it's a splurge for us, and we're wondering if we'll end up taking lots of shuttles or arranging for drivers and spending a lot to get off the property.

Any info you can provide would be helpful!

5. Re: Going to be in Carmelo for 2 whole days -is there a winery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 01:16