We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA to Colonia for 2 nights then MVD for too nights..opinios?

kpf
usa
Level Contributor
307 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
BA to Colonia for 2 nights then MVD for too nights..opinios?

We are sending my parents (age 70/80) to BA then thought they could take a boat to Colonia (maybe stay at Plaza Mayor) and explore the area (sounds like you need a golf cart). Then they would go to Montevideo for 2 nights (Sheraton unless someone knows anything more charming). Now I read they may want to rent a car for the trip from Colonia to MVD and stop at a vinery or enjoy the ride. Any tips on things to see or do? Should they go to an estancia or save that for an escape from BA for a day? They will be there for 4 nights at the Park Hyatt. My siblings want this to be a really great trip so I will awake any opinions before locking in on the schedule. Thanks.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA to Colonia for 2 nights then MVD for too nights..opinios?

Hello,

you don´t "need" a golf cart in Colonia; it´s just a possibility to get one, and its fun, but if they stay at the Plaza Mayor, your parents will be able to walk around very easily.

I would take the line bus to Montevideo, they are as fast as a car and very comfortable. Once they are there, take a city tour, and if they see its worth to get some place by themselves, like estancia or east coast, rent a car. The golden coast is lovely, not only Punta del Este. Any resort east from Montevideo has a charm. Piriapolis is worth a visit, has hilly landscape, harbour, etc. I´d suggest the winery tour in Uruguay rather than in Argentina, because the nice wine area in argentina is far away from BsAs. Near Montevideo you have some famous winecellars to visit.

kpf
usa
Level Contributor
307 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA to Colonia for 2 nights then MVD for too nights..opinios?

Thanks. I will look for a winery near MDV and just have them take a bus from Colonia to MDV. 2 nights in each...would it be best to use one of the Colonia days for a winery or a MDV day? Thanks!!

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA to Colonia for 2 nights then MVD for too nights..opinios?

It depends. May be they enjoy history and culture rather than big cities. Quietness, relax... that´s what you find in Colonia. If there´s a week-end you have theater or other shows in Colonia or Montevideo. Bigger wineries are quite far, in Carmelo, 50 miles away but worth the trip, or near Colonia you have a small family business of wine and grappa, on the same trip you can also visit a marmelade and jam factory, whith the Museum of collectoins (3 biggest ccollections of the world) That´s 7 miles from downtown. Would your parents enjoy a stay at a cheese farm? there is the possibility to spend 1 night (all meals included) at a farm in the countryside (first class lodging). Many options: milking, horsebackriding, spa, pottery lessons, etc.

4. Re: BA to Colonia for 2 nights then MVD for too nights..opinios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 20:21