We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tucuarembó - Good or bad idea ?

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Tucuarembó - Good or bad idea ?

We are thinking of visiting Tacuarembó.

We only have about one week in Uruguay (Feb/March) and plan to spend 2 nights in Montevideo, then cruise the coastal towns for a couple of days. We would like very much to see Tacuarembó, if we are not biting off too much driving for the pleasure ?

Would the 392 Kms drive, each way, from Montevideo provide interesting towns, scenery and possible lodging along the way ? If so, any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks,

~MarnieWDC

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tucuarembó - Good or bad idea ?

Tacuarembó is like a thematic town, all around Gardel, the famous tango singer, because it is supposed to be his birthtown; therefore the Radisson chain open the hotel there with tango decor. There is the Gardel museum, where you also pass by an indignous burrial place, like a monument. Then is also the gaucho museum. The road is very lonely, you probably get to see some hereford herds, or sheepherds, some gaucho and the tipical hills next to the city, looking like a breast, the cerro Batovi.

You will also cross the rio Negro at Paso de los Toros, there you can visit the hidroelectric power plant, Impressive! And if you feel like making a stop half the way and stay over night, there is also another facility run by Radisson called San Pedro de Timote, a former rich family estancia. It is a lot of driving, though, and, at that time of the year the weather probably is nice to spend at the beach.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tucuarembó - Good or bad idea ?

Muchas Gracias, Zerpa.

You have given me the information I needed to make a decision. We will go back to Plan A: Montevideo and the Coastal towns to the East; then up to Midas to get a bit of the more central area. Two long drives in less than interesting areas is more than the Tucuarembó Fiesta warrants. We were spoiled last year by an unplanned exposure to the Fiesta in San Martin de los Andes in Arg., and I guess I was hoping to repeat that wonderful experience.

I appreciate your taking the time to post.

~MarnieWDC

3. Re: Tucuarembó - Good or bad idea ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:17