We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
482 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

Because of air connections and nonrefundable nights in Punta del Este our current plan that we are trying to iron out now:

arrive MVD - pickup car - drive to Punta del Este for 3 nights

then one night Montevideo

then to Colonia for day touring and Buquebus ferry back to BA

I thought we would drop the car back at MVD airport before spending night in Montevideo and take bus to Colonia but the problem is where to store our luggage while touring Colonia.

Our BA travel agent is suggesting keeping the car and drop Colonia but I can't seem to get the rental car websites to accept that.

Any suggestions?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
482 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

sorry about all of the postings - I feel like this little part of our 3 week Argentina trip has spun out of control!!! I think we are going to give up on Colonia. Our BA travel agent feels like since we are spending 6 nights in the Salta area touring that it is okay to skip Colonia. So, I think we are going to just go with the 3 nights La Barra and 1 night Montevideo and be happy with that! I will report back. Thanks so much.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

It would be a shame not to visit Colonia it's a lovely little town. We saw lockers but I can't remember if it was when we arrived at the bus station or when we got the ferry back to BA so maybe someone else will give you this info. I would drop the car off in Montevideo and get the bus to Colonia, visit the town and get the ferry back to BA in the evening.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
482 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

I went back on the Thrifty car rental site and was able to book the car for pickup Montevideo airport and drop Colonia downtown, for a $45 drop fee. We are happy campers now!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

5. Re: Drop car in Colonia? Or take bus - is there luggage storage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 05:16