We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

Hi,

I am flying to Buenos Aires in mid Feb. I want to spend some time at Iguazu Falls and also in Uruguay (probably Montevideo for 1 day and then over to Punta Del Este). I don't mind which order I do this in.

I have only 2 weeks, so is there a direct flight I can take, either Iguazu-Montevideo or Punta, or the other way around?

I have tried looking at the BQB website but there doesn't seem to be any flights in Feb.

I don't want to take the bus as it will eat up a day of my limited holiday.

Many thanks,

Gemma

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

Hello Gemma

I just tried BQB website and it doesn't work That's the only direct flight. So if you have the chance to book it through a travel agent go for it. Other connecting flights would be TAM, the Brazilian airline, or Aerolineas Argentinas.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

I just phoned BQB, they say the direct flight from Punta to Paraguay has been removed (but they have not removed the option on internet :( Currently the option Montevideo to Asuncion, and back is available, usd 260 each way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

Wow thanks for your help Uruguayan! That's a shame about the direct flight. I'll check out whether Asuncion to Iguazu is a reasonable journey to make it worth it.

Best wishes,

Gemma

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

I did it by bus, just make sure you buy the ticket on a direct bus, and enquire how often does it stop, there are several companies and prices. The ones I took from and back to Asuncion stopped to pick up chipa sellers (kind of a donut typical of Paraguay) and even to load the luggage compartment with coal :)

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

I just learned that BQB will have a direct flight Punta - Asuncion - Punta from Dec 28 to Feb 17

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

We are Lon travelling to iguazu alls. We thought we would just go to the argentina IDE, never considered Asuncion. We are meeting another couple in the argentina side. How far is asuncion from there? Can you explain the advantages of going to Asuncion please? We also would like to bus, mainly due to costs.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

I wholeheartedly recommend flying to Asuncion and then taking a round trip bus ride to the Falls.

There are more flights going to Asuncion, and cheaper.

You visit a capital city, very charming, low profile yet adorable.

The bus takes 5 hours and there are several on offer, just pick the most expensive cos you can sleep if it's at night and it has less stops on the way.

I did that trip 2 years ago and it was a great experience. Going through Asuncion adds meaning to your trip (history, culture, etc) more than flying in and out of the cities in Brazil or Argentina that are near the falls and have nothing to compare to the capital of Paraguay.

8. Re: From Uruguay (Punta?) to Iguazu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 08:17