We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the water in punta?

2 posts
Save Topic
How is the water in punta?

Hey everyone!

We are travelling to Argenyina and after all the treckings and sightseeing we want to have a week of beach vacation. But i am afraid that the water is not comfortable enough for swimming (cold) which means its not right place for us... So the question is how warm is the water on the first week of january?

Thanks!

Ivan

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the water in punta?

To add to the above, usually after a couple of weeks of activities in SA we go to carrebian (aruba, barbados, venezuela)...

So how does water/swimming conditions in punta compare to carrebian?

Many thanks in advance!

Ivan

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the water in punta?

Hi Ivan, I´m Fernando Semproni (owner of Indoor Uruguay, local travel agency).

At Punta del Este the water is not so warm at Caribe, and of course not so cold like Pacific Ocean. Sometimes is a little bit cold and sometimes not. At january at Punta del Este is really hot so the water is ideal to swim. My suns stay inside the water full day. Punta del Este is full of people those weeks so if you want to book hotel or rent a car you have to do it asap.

You have beaches without waves (Mansa Beach) and with some waves (Brava Beach) and more agressive water at Montoya or Bikini Beach.

You will enjoy it.

Fernando Semproni

Indoor Uruguay

Your local connection

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the water in punta?

Ivan,

I'm from Uruguay and live in the Caribbean. The Caribbean will always be warm, winter or summer.

In the summer in Uruguay, I would say that at most you'll get 20-22C water temps. In the Caribbean, water temperature even in January (winter time) would be around 25C.

Silvia

PS: by the way, I never felt the water was cold in the summer in Uruguay. Actually, when it a bit chilly, it felt quite refreshing!

Edited: 16 August 2012, 23:55
San Diego...
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the water in punta?

Water temperature should be nice by January - definitely not Carribean waters (neither in temperature, clarity or color), but still nice. As Fernando said though, book early! January is THE month to be in Punta (prices will reflect this). Availability can get really hard if you wait too long.

5. Re: How is the water in punta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 06:15