We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

Hello,

My wife and I are coming on our honeymoon to Punta del Este from Saturday, December 29, 2012 to Wednesday, January 2, 2013.

We would like recommendations on how we should spend our 5 days there.

Can you please give us your recommendations?

Thank you.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

Presumably you have your hotel confirmed and a car rented.

Here are some of the must-do's:

Eat lunch at La Huella on the beach in Jose Ignacio.

http://www.paradorlahuella.com/

Eat dinner at La Bourgogne, if you can afford it.

http://www.labourgogne.com.uy/

Drive to the end of Punta Ballena for the views and to see Casapueblo, the gallery/hotel/studio of Carlos Paez-Villaro.

Drive inland from Jose Ignacio to see the countryside and the "ghost-town-turned-chic-destination of Garzon, where you can eat lunch, again if you can afford it, at Francis Mallmann's restaurant. Also, stop by Estancia Vik, about eight kilometers inland from Jose Ignacio; it's a spectacular boutique hotel set in thousands of acres, with polo fields, rooms designed and painted by artists, and so on.

See the bodies on display at the beaches of Jose Ignacio, Bikini and Montoya. And if it's your style, the bodies on full display at the nudist beach of Chihuahua.

Cruise the bars in the port on the peninsula of Punta del Este.

If you are under age 30, consider the night clubs in La Barra. The most famous, assuming it's open this year, is Tequila. It starts at 2:30 in the morning, goes to around 8 a.m.

Drive to the top of the ridge inland from Punta Ballena, to see the 360-degree view from Hotel-Art Las Cumbres, and perhaps eat lunch or have afternoon tea there. Call ahead to be let through the gate.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

I don't understand why you advertise Estancia Vik, they won't have access unless they book their stay there.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

Hello PuntaLugano,

We do have our hotel but do not have a car rented. Can't we just take a taxi to everywhere we want to go? I did some research on the internet and the cheapest car I found to rent for 5 days is $980 US. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use a taxi everywhere we go? Thank you.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

You should spend an afternoon or even a day on Gorriti Island, take a boat ride from the harbour, you can take your own provisions or have lunch on the parador facing the beach, or walk around and see the colonial fortifications.

Rent a tandem bike to cycle your way around the peninsula, or a scooter to get to a more secluded beach on the Atlantic coast before or past José Ignacio.

Kayak in the bay -I used to go from the mansa beach to the island on a solo kayak but there are tandems, or maybe try a double jetski.

montevideo
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

No way!! , taxi in Punta del Este it´s ery expensie!!

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

Totally! not many people take a taxi in Punta del Este, so the fares have to be expensive. It's a luxury! Most taxis are Mercedes Benz, so go figure!

7. Re: Planning December 29, 2012 - January 2, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Punta del Este