We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TAM Airlines?

Olmito, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
TAM Airlines?

After visiting Bolivia i was looking into flying from Bolivia to Iquazu to Buenos Aries.

I found out that TAM airlines flies from Cochobamba, Bolivia to ascunion,Argentina. I have gone to their website and its cheaper than LAN and TACA.

I was looking at Lan and Taca but they fly to Buenos Aries and then to Iquazu. I would prefer the direct route of TAM.

are there other airlines that i am over looking? any help would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TAM Airlines?

Have a look at AEROSUR as well.

www.aerosur.com

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TAM Airlines?

We were on a Vantage tour of 26 people, takiing TAM airlines from Iguassu to Rio. TAM charges ENORMOUS fees for extra baggage. They have a 50 lb / 23 Kilo max (I think) per person -- so even if you have carry-on, if they see it, it gets weighed. One couple had a $200 EXTRA fee for a carry-on rollaboard, legal in the USA but EXTRA at TAM. Be aware!!!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TAM Airlines?

No body needs fifty pounds of luggage. If you pack correctly and buy carefully you can take everything you need for months of travel in a carry-on.

I have done for many years, the only exception was a on a trip/cruise around South America where we had tropical and very cold conditions in the far south. My husband and myself shared one checked piece that had warm clothes.

here is short video, the site has half a dozen and is very informative.

packinglight.net/packinglight_method.aspx…

Mentioned in this post
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TAM Airlines?

Thanks for the link -- but it takes me to a recording of TWO one-hour videos. I think there is a short summary video that i"ll look for and I'll definitely watch it however, before our next trip.

But -- we were not the ones with overweight bags -- the couple that was going to be going from this SoAmer 16 day trip to a week in Atlanta for a wedding werre the ones paying the extra $200. By the way, both of these people were tiny people -- maybe 125 lbs each. They had to pay the $200 for that extra baggage but the 300 lb traveler with his carry-on did not! But I digress.

That said -- we were bringing along wine and gifts so carry-on was not for us on this trip. In the USA, one can only have 3 oz of liquid in carry-on so two bottles of wine in carry on would not be a choice. Also, we were on a tour where the hotels charge $8 to wash a pair of socks! We did find a local laundry to do a whole basket of laundry for $5! So we did that at the end of our first week.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TAM Airlines?

of course you are correct that sometimes you need more than a carry on. we have a wine collection ourselves that we are slowly mailing to ourselves from the states.

My point is only that I see people shlepping a couple of huge suitcases and it must take all the fun out of traveling. laundry is often the excuse but the modern travel wear pants, shirts etc and underweat can be washed in a sink and quik dry overnight.

Some of the stuff is expensive but some isn't and if you like to travel, a collection of quik drying outfits that are timeless are a good investment.

BTW you can carry somewhat more than three ounces in carry on BUT no one container can be more than three ounces. All those lipsticks, bug sprays, conditioner, skin cream and sun lotion must fit in one layer in a one quart , baggy, again careful shopping for tine sizes is the trick.

Did you know a travel size toothpaste will last two people exactly three weeks sO only one half of a couple needs to carry the toothpaste? If you buy Crystal Deodorant that works better than any antiperspirant out there , it doesn't need to be in that baggy because it is a dry stone ? We always buy some cheap hair conditioner at our destination, ( or use what the hotel supplies the first day,)my long tresses require it but it also make s a great shaving lotion for face or legs so that is another thing to not carry on and throw out before you board to go home.

Woolite is a pain to rinse out but there is an English product called Dylon Travel wash that is better and rinses out in only one change of water so I find that on the net and put in a smaller container to carty along. Jeans just do not dry fast but can often be worn for an entire week without showing the dirt ;D

and yes that travel site does have a short short version of the video at the bottom. It is not exactly how I pack ( i like cubes which is like having drawers with me) but it beats carrying two or even thre suitcases.

Whew

I just finished packing for three weeks in SA( we leAVe tomorrow) , with fairly diverse climates Bolvia and sothern Chile, my 22 " carry on weighs in at 26 pounds and should be a little less as I still have the stuff I will be wearing in there.( except a light Very slightly padded jacket with fleece sleeve) I have it on top so I know where it is . My other personal item weghs 11 pounds

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TAM Airlines?

Enjoy your trip and thanks for the various recommendations. We often take only carry-ons but usually not on international trips. And we do have lots of the special dry-fast travel clothes. We love the Zip-off pants -- great for days with temp changes or for visiting various religious places that don't want one to be in shorts.

We'll be looking for that Woolite replacement and deoderant.

Travel safely -- Cynde, Bend, Oregon (it's getting cold here now! We are off to Hawaii in January for a few weeks of warmth. )

7. Re: TAM Airlines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:19