We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru/Bolivia trip

co antrim
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Peru/Bolivia trip

Hi everyone. I am interested in some advise for those of you who have travel into South America. There is a group of 4 going out at the end of November and staying for a period of 24 days. I have put together an itinerary and i would be grateful if you could advise me if this is do-able and any changes you would suggest would be very very grateful. I was going to get this costed for a tour as none of us speak spanish and i don't think i have enough experience (i think) to arrive and go....

.27-Nov 1 Lima

28-Nov 2 Bus Lima/Pisco-Ica/Nisca (fly over lines)

29-Nov 3 Bus Nisca-Arequipa

30-Nov 4 Arequipa

01-Dec 5 Fly Arequipa-Juliaca (transfer to Puno)

02-Dec 6 Puno (floating islands)

03-Dec 7 Catamaran/Coach Puno-La Paz

04-Dec 8 Fly La Paz-Sucre (transfer to Potosi)

05-Dec 9 Potosi/Uyuni (salt lakes)

06-Dec 10 Bus Uyuni/Potosi (rest)

07-Dec 11 Bus Potosi/Sucre - full day tour

08-Dec 12 Sucre - city tour

09-Dec 13 Fly Sucre/La Paz (after market)

10-Dec 14 La Paz - city tour

11-Dec 15 Fly La Paz-Cusco + city tour

12-Dec 16 Train to Machu Picchu + Aguas Callientes

13-Dec 17 Inca Trail / Sacred Valley tour

14-Dec 18 Inca Trail

15-Dec 19 Inca Trail

16-Dec 20 Cusco - rest day

17-Dec 21 Fly Cusco-Puerto Maldonado + boat ride

18-Dec 22 Amazon/jungle tour

19-Dec 23 Fly Peurto Maldonado-Lima

20-Dec 24 Lima city tour (International flight home)

21-Dec 25

Many thanks

Mary

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

I think you probably need twice as much time as you have to do it properly.

Do either Peru or Bolivia but not both. For example, why would you go all the way to Uyuni and not do a 3 or 4 day salt flat tour. Uyuni itself is just a dusty town. Get yourself a good guide book and do a little more research.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

I would also agree this is a very hectic itinerary. Don't underestimate the effect of altitude which will slow you down (even when you are fully acclimatised). You are allowing yourselves time at Arequipa to begin acclimatisation and that is good.

The drive from Potosi to Uyuni took us about 3 hours by car. I'm not sure how long the bus takes or what time the bus arrives. This isn't going to give you very long for the salt flats. Have you checked out that you can do a short tour once the bus has arrived? I must admit I do wonder if it is worth investing this amount of time for very little return - and Uyuni isn't a particularly interesting town either. The 3 day tour of the salt flats was the highlight of our trip to Bolivia.

I think you need to prune back your itinerary and cutout some things to try and make it more manageable and to give yourself time to relax and soak up the atmosphere. A series of one night stands and using buses is hard on the system. There is a danger that you tear around trying to see everything and end up not seeing very much of anything.

co antrim
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

thank you so much for your reply. It is so difficult to appreciate the vastness of the country and the altitude. when i was planning i had a feeling that we were trying to all in too short a time. I am now thinking of flying down to Araquipa and then leaving out the amazon jungle part of the journey. My mind is all over the place trying to arrange the best trip from this side of the Atlantic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

I agree with everyone else above - too much crammed in. It'll be like a route march rather than a holiday!

Why not go straight to Cusco, acclimatise there for a few days and take in the Sacred Valley (it's lower than Machu Picchu so should be ok). See Machu Picchu then head down to Puno and on into Bolivia?

Bolivia - La Paz - Fly to Rurrenabbaque for a jungle (amazon) and maybe pampas tour, back to La Paz, then down to the Salt Flats to do the SW Circuit tour.

I'd miss out Potosi and Sucre. They are both great but will impact on your time in the jungle, pampas and Salt Flats. These 3 things were my favourites in Bolivia (Potosi mine tour was 4th!).

All the best - try not to overdo the travelling as it takes much longer than you think!

Edited: 30 August 2011, 12:30
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

It all depends on what your priorities are.... we missed out the Amazon and the jungle as we don't like 'bitey things' and thought it would be too hot and humid for us. We loved Sucre - a marvellous city to explore and also liked Potosi (inspite of the altitude and we didn't do the mine tour - the thought of crawling along an underground passage at 4500m didn't appeal).

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

It certainly does depend on your priorities.

The OP mentioned going on an Amazon tour on the 18th Dec so I thought it might be better (and certainly cheaper) to do this from Bolivia. It's only about an hour long plane journey from La Paz to Rurrenabaque so it might work better than doubling back on themselves to go to the Peru Amazon.

By cutting out Potosi and Sucre and the Peruvian Amazon it'll also mean the rest of the tour isn't so rushed, leaving them a bit of breathing space. Sucre was lovely though EESW, I think we spent about a week there relaxing and marvelling at the architecture.

As mentioned though, it's all about your priorities.

Enjoy anyway!!

co antrim
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

Thanks for all the advice. I am going back to the drawing board so i will return and would appreciate if you could glance over...thanks

8. Re: Peru/Bolivia trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 23:19