We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

First of all i'll admit i am a scenery freak and after doing the South West circuit from San Pedro to Uyuni and Isla de Sol i was simply knocked out by the beauty of these places.

Soooo i am now planning a trip back and wish to see even more stunning scenery...I'm hooked !!!

I dont wish to repeat my previous places so if anyone can recommend places that are equal to the above i would be most appreciative. Tupiza looks good so far.

Meanwhile i'll continue to do more research :}

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

Doing the same kind of research. Sorata? Yungas/Coroico?

Did you make it to Potosi?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

Wow, Sorata looks great. I could have searched all the books etc in the world and probably not found Sorata. Great tip...thank you :} Its on the list now.

Yungas & Coro i have thought about and may go on the list.

Nope, never got to Potosi... there seems to be rivalry on here re which is best...Potosi or Sucre. I will go to Trekearth.com and see which is best scenery/photography wise and go from there.

Any more tips peoples ?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

They are only 3 hours apart easy to see both. I actually preferred Potosi unfortunately left after only one night. Should have split my time more evenly.

You might want to ask on Lonely Planet/Thorntree there is a travel photographer that posts there.

Edited: 28 December 2011, 02:59
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

Pictures of our stay in Potosi are here:

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/…index.html

It is an interesting colonial town with some good buildings. We didn't do the mine trip though...

Altitude is 4090m so may be altitude problems if not acclimatised.

Main index for Sucre here:

Excellent colonial town with superb architecture. Can recommend side trip to Potola Valley as well off the tourist trail. The road only arrived there a few years ago.

Can also recommend Sorata as above. Just get a brief mention in the guide books.

Pictures from La Paz to Sorata here:

and dropping down into Sorata and the town here:

We visited San Pedro Cave which I wouldn't bother with another time, but the drive along the road to it from Sorata was excellent.

I wrote a detailed trip report of our three weeks in Bolivia here:

www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp…

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

If you want a guidebook with more than a brief mention of places like Sorata, I recommend Footprint Bolivia. The edition I have has over 5 pages including a map,. Another nice thing about Footprint is that they cover the full price range of accommodations from luxury to backpacker, making it unnecessary to use high priced tour operators for your entire trip.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 22:20
Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

Appreciate your tips Mlgb :}

EESW...........nice pics there !! And your "detailed report" was certainly detailed....you forgot to mention how many sugars you had in your coffee LOL

Lots of great info in your report and i thank you for it.

Whilst Googling Chuquisaca area there was one photo amonst them that reminded me of the Dragon trees of Socrata.....the caption of the pic was Cal Orck'o which is the dinosaur footprint place....anybody see these strange mushroom shaped trees near there??

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

I don't have sugar in coffee...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

I can rest easy now knowing that ! :}

Your report helped immensely and has given me a few ideas.

Any further special scenic places i should know about?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

I'm glad it was useful. It covered all the places we visited. I did a lot of reading up before booking the trip and these came out as the highlights for us. We didn't get to Turpiza (lack of time) but I think it would repay getting to. Bolivia more than delivered on our expectations.

I can second mlgb's recommendation of Footprint Guide to Bolivia. It is way way better than Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. I also liked the Bradt Guide for general background information.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning trip #2 - where to this time ?

I went to the new Dinosaur Park outside of Sucre and I can't say I recommend it, far too Disneyesque.. You cannot get close to the wall anymore. In fact the view from the parking lot is better. You would do better to hire a local taxi and bring a pair of binoculars!

If you do wind up in Sucre I recommend the new folklorico show Origines Bolvianos and the dinner was pretty good.

http://www.origenesbolivianos.com/