First time planning for a trip to Bolivia for July. I just started planning, need to book flights ASAP... have about 2 weeks, I know it's not much time. My major must-see is Uyuni, am flexible on other things.
Day 1: Fly into Santa Cruz, fly onto Sucre
Day 2: Sucre
Day 3; bus Sucre - Potosi
Day 4: Potosi
Day 5: bus Potosi - Uyuni
Days 6-9: Uyuni Tour, bus to La Paz
Days 10-11 (12?): La Paz + Tiwanaku
Day 12/13: bus to Puno
I'm then planning to spend a few days in Puno for work reasons and then heading up to Cusco for hike potentially.
1. Does this seem feasible with timing? I know I need to leave some days open for the who-knows-what-scenario. Planning to leave extra room in Puno also that can be eaten up by Bolivia or used in Cusco later as needed.
2. I went this route in hopes of helping with acclimatizing... I have been to Cusco with zero altitude problems in the past, but wasn't sure about starting in La Paz. Also, seems like flights are cheaper into Santa Cruz.
3. Has anyone done the missions tour around Santa Cruz? Is this "worth" a stop there for a day or two?
4. What I can expect in terms of prices for hotels/hostales and food? What about bus prices?
5. Can anyone recommend specific safer bus companies for those routes?
6. Also, I don't think I'm interested in the mine tour in Potosi unless someone wants to talk me into it... Is Potosi "worth" a stop anyway or should I head straight from Sucre to Uyuni in that case? I know it's about a 9-hr ride then.
Sorry, lots of questions! I know I'm missing a lot of Bolivia -- other suggestions are appreciated, just need to stick within that timeframe somewhat. Thanks in advance!