We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

Hello - I'm thinking of booking a 4 day trek along the El Choro trail with a company called Terra Andina which is based in La Paz. The cost of the trek is not cheap ($1100 US for 2 people.) So I want to check first that the company is reputable as I can't find any reviews of them online. Has anyone trekked with this company before? Or have you used them for any other purpose? What was your experience of them? Thank you!

Rachel

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

I did it alone. No guide. Just me. You can easily do it by yourself. get a cab to drop you off at La Cumbre. You can camp all along the way.

Santiago, Chile
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

I'm looking to this trip too, I'm checking out companies. But I think you're paying way too much. You can do the 4 day /3 night Inca trail in Perú for $800USD to $900USD (For a two people) and includes porters, meals, the tickets to enter the sacred city of Machupichu and even the luxury train back to Cusco from Aguas Calientes. I just did it last week. $1.100 sounds too high for me considering the trek, the Inca trail in Peru has lots of Inca ruins, also Perú is a lot more expensive than Bolivia. Though the Choro trek sounds great I don’t see lots of overhead, other than basic camping and porters. Make you they’re not giving you the gringo price. You are not done with the $1.100, later they will also give you the speech about the hard work of all their porters, which is true, and you’ll have to tip each one of them a recommended amount, plus something higher for the cook. They’ll say is voluntary but they do a great sociologic work giving you a guilt trip throughout the whole trek. Most trekking companies are known to pay badly their people, pretty much these make their salary out of our tips. In other words we pay everybody again and the tour company keeps most of the money.

Santiago, Chile
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

I'm looking to this trip too, I'm checking out companies. But I think you're paying way too much. You can do the 4 day /3 night Inca trail in Perú for $800USD to $900USD (For a two people) and includes porters, meals, the tickets to enter the sacred city of Machupichu and even the luxury train back to Cusco from Aguas Calientes. I just did it last week. $1.100 sounds too high for me considering the trek, the Inca trail in Peru has lots of Inca ruins, also Perú is a lot more expensive than Bolivia. Though the Choro trek sounds great I don’t see lots of overhead, other than basic camping and porters. Make you they’re not giving you the gringo price. You are not done with the $1.100, later they will also give you the speech about the hard work of all their porters, which is true, and you’ll have to tip each one of them a recommended amount, plus something higher for the cook. They’ll say is voluntary but they do a great sociologic work giving you a guilt trip throughout the whole trek. Most trekking companies are known to pay badly their people, pretty much these make their salary out of our tips. In other words we pay everybody again and the tour company keeps most of the money.

Adelaide, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

Hi from Australia

We just finished this trek at the begining of October. It was not what we expected. Admittedly we are both in our 50s but are experienced trekkers and had completed a 7 day trek the week before to Machu Picchu, coming in under average time every day. We were advised that the trek was "easy" so booked a 3 day trip to end the 5 weeks we had in South America. This was a mistake. It was much harder than expected and took us into an extra day. We started in the snow and were soaked through for the first day. The track is all down hill and very slippery and dangerous so be careful. We used a company called Magri Turismo that was booked through our Agent in Australia. We were very disappointed with the level of the guide - who couldn't even tell us the name of the river we trekked next to for 4 days!. He was much more interested in being with the Porters at the end of the day and didn't even speak to us once the walking had finished for the day. I think that the whole Tourism thing is in the early stages in Bolivia, unlike Peru where it is done very well. You could do the trek yourself, we saw other groups on their own. There are designated camping areas the whole way through that are under cover and quite comfortable. You will need to carry your own tent, food etc but for a short trek this isn't too bad. If you are thinking of trekking and have not done anything in Peru I would suggest that this would be a much better option. What ever you do, do it with an open heart and enjoy the experience.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

Thanks for all your replies everyone. We ended up completing this trek in October 2012 with a company that we found when we got to La Paz called Huayna Potosi on Calle Sagarnaga. There are lots of other companies on that street and on Calle Illampu They were all much cheaper than the price quoted by Terra Andina. I don't remember the exact price but I think we paid something like $150. We absolutely loved the trek. We had a wonderful, gentle soul of a guide/porter called Sabino who made sure we made it safely from the top of the El Choro trail to Coroicco in 3 days. The company supplied tents, sleeping mats and wet weather gear (which we didn't end up needing), and most importantly walking poles!! Don't attempt this trek without them. By the time we had walked down hill for 3 days our knees were killing us and we hobbled painfully for the last hour or so leaning heavily on our poles. We had a similar experience to Bronwyn in that our English speaking guide (who we paid an extra $50 for in addition to Sabino) didn't know the names of any of the plants, animals, river or mountains and was pretty useless really. Sabino on his own would've been just fine. All in all it was a wonderful experience and I would thoroughly recommend it. Just do some downhill training and get those knees and quads in shape before you go!

Edited: 16 October 2013, 06:16
Paris, France
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

Just wondering of the agency Huayna Potosi provided you with (good quality) sleeping bags? Also, what were the temperatures like at nightime? We are concerned about being cold while camping!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

Hi there - yes they provided sleeping bags and we were not cold. The temperatures weren't very cold at night. Best of luck on your trip. You'll love it!

8. Re: El Choro Trek - Terra Andina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:15