We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

THE INSIDE SCOOP ON THE BUS RIDE FROM SANTA CRUZ BOLIVIA TO ASUNCION IN PARAGUAY

So we recently were looking for transport options from Santa Cruz in Bolivia to Asuncion as we were trying to get to Iguazu Falls. Didnt see too much relevant information except the train option so thought I woud share our experiences.

The train option wasnt right for us as on the map it didnt seem to head in the right direction and total trip time to asuncion woud be more than bus.

We stayed in Santa Cruz 1 night which was lovely and had 2 full days to discover Santa Cruz which for us was enough.

We checked the airlines who fly to Asuncion. The airlines that do this from Bolivia are:

TAM Mercosur (they have an office in Santa Cruz, go there to inquire flights are around $100 one way)

Argentinian Airlines ((Dont fly direct located next to tourist information on te main square)

The flights were fully booked and we would have to stay in Santa Cruz for 4 days if we wanted to fly and avoid the 22 hour bus ride.

We decided to push on and take te bus. Headed to the bus terminal and at the end there is an international section. In short there were 3 companies selling tickets to asuncion:

Yacycreta

Stel Turismo

Rio Paraguay

People dont be fooled they all sell tickets for the same bus which seems to be a Stel Turismo bus. Dont be fooled by pretty pictures from Yacycreta they are rubbish. We confirmed this with a local guy on the bus who does the trip every 3 weeks. So book with Stel Tourismo if you cant withstand the urge to take the bus!

We had booked with Yacycreta as we thought the bus looked slightly better. Arrived at 7 pm to be told that the bus wouldnt go and we had seats on another bus with Stel Turismo. Not the seats we wanted. We had paid 350 boliviano each for the trip. Other passengers had paid a range from 400 - 520. As there were blockades on at midnight we ended up loading up onto this prehistoric bus from hell. There was no room to pack the bags in the bottom and instead had to load them into the isle, no bag tags and no assistance just free for all. As the bus was overbooked there werent enough seats for everybody as some seats were loaded with cargo = people in the isle.

We left at 19:15 in a mad rush to avoid the road blockades that were put up by protesters at midnight. The seats were semi adjustable if that and there were 4 rows of seats. Myself being quite tall I could not sit straight and had the legs in the isle. Along the way the bus stopped numerous times to pick people up. We arrived at the border at 1 am to check out of Bolivia. Then at around 6 am we arrived at te paraguay customs where the whole bus got unloaded and were checked for drugs. Along the way between Bolivia checkpoint and paraguay numerous packages were thrown out of te window and police/ gangsters in civilian clothes came on board with torches. At no point did we feel unsafe just more a feeling that we were along for the ride and plenty of other shady business was going on.

Once passed the Paraguay border its another 5 -7 hours where there are numerous army/ police checkpoints where guards were literally paid off (personally saw bus driver hand money to police). Finally got to Asuncion at around 17:00 the next day. Having spoken to others this was quick:

Strikes road closures add 8-12 hours

Bus breakdowns add 4-12 hours

Rain double the time

The roads are mostly unpaved up till Paraguay border so lots of bumps and swerving

From Paraguay border onwards its sweet.

So in conclusion book your airline tickets ahead from Santa Cruz to Asuncion.

Any more info needed feel free to email me on sdekruijff@yahoo.com.

Cheers

Sjors and Hollie

PS if they tell you the bus is going to ciudad del este they are lying!! One guy paid $570 bolivianos to go here but te bus stops in Asuncion for sure dont believe te guys at the desk

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

Hey Josh and everyone

I take the bus from santa cruz to Asuncion in october 2012

i listen to this advice and take the bus with Stel Turismo, on the bus have also have sign of Rio Paraguay.

i paid for the bus 385 bolivian, and i ask other people on the bus the paid like me.

the company said that my left in 19:00 but the bus go out only in 20:30

the bus were old and not comfortable.

all other the bus to Buenus Airies Sau Palo Lima was new and comfortable.

probably the bus companys to Asuncion are the worst.

(read josh advise) Inside Paraguay you have a good companys.

when you cross the border to Paraguay, don´t surprise if the police stop the bus at last 3 times to check drags.

other people i meet in Asuncion the police stop 5 times the bus .

buss from Argentina and Brazil the police check pnly one time.

I don´t know way the love to stop the bus from Bolivia.

My bus arrive to Asuncion only in 20:30, 24 houres of driving

I don´t take the flight beacuse it was full for 4 days

IF YOU CAN TAKE THE FLIGHT EVEN ITS COST MORE

its worth that, you arrive faster, the police don´t stop you, and you get normal condition of your seat

And Pararguay Amazing go to visit there !

Josh thanks for the advice, its help me a lot

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

Has anyone tried driving a car from Bolivia to Paraguay? I am exploring the idea of buying a car in Santiago Chile and driving thru Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay to Buenos Aires and sell the car there.

Coquimbo, Coquimbo...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

My name is Ricardo Mannarelli and I live in Chile.

I doubt that foreigners with just a visa can buy a car and go out from Chile driving. You must be resident I think.

If you buy a car in Chile it has to be in Iquique,cars are duty free there and its the closest point to Bolivia.

You are probably aware that the car you buy has to be sold ilegally in Asunción. And if you do so, don't come back to Chile without the car. Perhaps in ten years...

There is lots of things you must enquire my friend....

Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

Thank you!! Looking for a cheap way to get from country to country in SA. Airline tix are much more then 2012 prices nowadays. 700++ but loathe bus trips even the 4 hours in the us from NY to Baltimore makes me miserable. ugh.

5. Re: Bus Santa Cruz Bolivia to Asuncion Paraguay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 06:20