We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Future Visit, Sept 2013

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Future Visit, Sept 2013

I am in the early stages of planning a 3 week backpacking trip to Peru and Bolivia in September 2013. Places in Peru we would like to visit are Arequipa, Colca Canyon, and Machu Picchu. In Bolivia we would like to visit isla del Sol, La Paz, Uyuni (3 day/2 night tour), Poyosi, and Rurrenabaque.

Does a week in Peru and 2 weeks in Bolivia sound reasonable for the places we want to see?

Is there a way to travel from Poyosi to Rurrenabaque without going back to La Paz?

I am also looking for packing tips, with Christmas just around the corner I thought I could put some things on my list. In particular useful things to have for the 3 day/2 night tour out of Uyuni and also the time spent in the Amazon.

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
124 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Future Visit, Sept 2013

My Peru/Bolivia trip was 2.5 weeks and I saw a lot less sights than you have planned. That probably means you will need to budget for either more time or less places. Arequipa and Colca Canyon requires at least 3 days I believe (I couldn't fit it into my schedule so I had to pass). Cusco is a really cool town with lots of things to do, you can easily spend 3 days in the town and surrounding area alone (especially if you like to eat - so much great food here). I only did La Paz and Uyuni in Bolivia so I can't speak to your other points of interest but I believe you need to add more days to Peru from your time in Bolivia (2 weeks is too long). My itinerary was as follows and I felt like I was always on the go (which is how I like it anyway).

Peru (land in Lima, transit to Cusco to acclimate, transit to Puno): 5 days

Bolivia (transit to Copacabana/Isla del Sol, La Paz, Uyuni): 7 days

Peru (transit back to Peru, hung out in Cusco where there are lots of things to do, train to MP, transit back to Lima): 6 days

One thing to keep in mind is that transportation btwn all your cities takes A LOT of time. This is mainly because of a lack of infrastructure (dirt roads) or limited flights offered (depending on how you're traveling). Don't expect to leave whenever is convenient for you because the option simply won't be there. So you will need to expect transit to take up a considerable chunk of time and also prepare for at least 2-3 days to acclimate (make zero plans because you won't be able to do anything possibly). Everyone is different but it really sucked having altitude sickness - I couldn't enjoy anything really.

If you want my detailed itinerary, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you. Good luck! :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Future Visit, Sept 2013

Hey thanks for the information. Bolivia is a must for this trip so taking time away from it really isn't an option. I will just have to prioritize my "must sees" and hope for a little luck on the bus front.

My top 4 spots are: Arequipa / Colca Canyon, Machu Picchu, Uyuni, and the jungle (at Rurrenabaque probably). The floating islands and La Paz follow close behind. Unfortunately flying into La Paz is twice the price of Lima so that is the reason for starting and ending the trip there.

I will PM you regarding your itinerary, it would be great to check it out and give me a better idea of time frames.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Future Visit, Sept 2013

Don't underestimate the time needed to acclimatise for altitude.

Have a look here for hints and advice.

www.silvertraveladvisor.com/index.cfm…

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Future Visit, Sept 2013

Thanks for the link. Initial thoughts include arriving into Lima, Peru and the next day departing for Arequipa via an overnight bus. We will stay a few days in Arequipa (how long will depend on any altitude problems, bus issues, tour issues, etc) which will allow us to acclimatize and then head to Puno checking out Colca Canyon on the way. I am thinking about 10 days for this section of the trip.

Has anyone done a tour with 4M Express? They have a 2 day 1 night tour to Puno from Arequipa that stops overnight at Chivay.

After Puno we will transfer to La Paz and then fly to Rurrenabaque. Would it be best to stay in La Paz for a few days or if possible fly out the next day? We will spend the next week in the jungle and then fly back to La Paz. From here it is up in the air, do we head South to Salar de Uyuni or head back North to Machu Picchu?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Future Visit, Sept 2013

Don't miss the Salar tour. And for me, the highlight was the desert landscapes near the Chilean border, so I highly recommend the 3 day tour instead of anything shorter.

I loved Bolivia and spent 2 weeks there. I could have spent longer.

6. Re: Future Visit, Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 10:15