We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

Hi,

We are planning a 10-day trip to Bolivia (after a trip to Chile), and looking for some transportation / tour advice. We will spend one day in San Pedro, Chile doing a stargazing tour. After that we want to climb Licancabur, and tour Uyuni and then head to La Paz for Lake Titicaca.

1. What is the best way to get from San Pedro, Chile to Laguna Blanca? We want to get a local Bolivian guide for Licancabur climb. Most of the tours we have seen are 3-day tours that end in Uyuni.

2. Are there any tours that can take us from Laguna Blanca and drop at Uyuni?

3. What is best way to get from Uyuni to La Paz? I found one tour bus kanootours.com/ws/index.php/transport/uyuni-…

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

Some more details are probably useful -

We are trying to do this from December 20 - 25.

We are not afraid to take local transport, share with other people and travel on a budget, backpacker style.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

Hiking01Glory I suspect if you are not starting this in Uyuni you will need to organise it from San Pedro de Atacama.

From what I understand the main vehicles using the crossing from there into Bolivia are basically private tours. You will not find public transport from Laguna Blanca. Buses organised by tour groups take people between the border and SP and four wheel drive tours get people to or from the border into or out of the Bolivian desert.

If you want public transport you will have to travel up to Calama then over to Uyuni and back track from there,

Otherwise you may need to find a company operating out of SP that can connect you to a Bolivian company.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

As I am ignorant of trekking I did a google search. Have a look at this and try some similar searches as you don't seem to be getting many responses. You may need to try some more specialized trekking forums.

summitpost.org/licancabur/…153749

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

Thanks for the reply. I did the search, and seems like it would be possible to arrange all this once we get there. I wanted to ask this forum if someone has done exact this tour (as it seems like a common path) and can recommend an agency.

Based on other reports, we have decided to start in Uyuni (basically fly to La Paz first, and then make our way down into Chile). This will make it easier to find tour operators that drop us to Laguna Blanca. Now we need to find an operator who can take us from Laguna Blanca to San Pedro directly after the trek.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

You are probably better going on to SPA, and then finding a guide there to take you to Licancabur. There is nothing at Laguna Bianca, so I can't see anyone waiting there for hours hoping the other party turns up.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

The best to organize your trip is to go to Uyuni. All the hotels are connected one way or another to a tour company. They will be able to help you out to find a guide to Licancaur. From Uyuni you can travel to the rest of Bolivia (you can even buy your bus tickets online, try TicketsBolivia.com.bo). From Atacama to Uyuni it might be a bit difficult with public transport. That is not a usual way for Bolivians to cross to Chile (it easier to go to Iquique or Arica). But there are plenty of tour operators in Atacama and Uyuni than can arrange transport ... for a price.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

There is a refugio at Licancabur where most climbers stay overnight. We just happened to be staying there and didn't do the climb but the guys that were climbing started at 4am because of the extremely strong winds that develop later in the day.

You can probably get more info here.......http://www.summitpost.org/licancabur/climbers-log/153749

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

Thanks for replies. Our current plan is then to go to Uyuni, find a hotel and then find a guide there. Hopefully we will also find a group to share the cost with. I found a few tour operators online, emailed them to get more info, but they have not replied.

9. Re: Uyuni tour and Licancabur trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:19