We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

What is the best way of getting to Tupiza? We have a limited amount of time, and I want to make the best of it! We don't speak Spanish, and prefer being cold to being warm :-)))) but boyfriend is not as adventurous (and over 6 feet tall!), so don't want to shock him too much!

Option A: Fly to Potosi. Spend the day exploring. Take the morning bus to Tupiza

Option B: Fly to Sucre. Spend the day exploring. Take the overnight bus to Tupiza.

Option C: Bus to Oruro, train to Tupiza

Option D: Forget about Tupiza, just see the salt flats from Uyuni????

Really appreciate your advice/accounts of personal experiences!

London
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

I would probably go for option b on the Basis that we really liked Sucre. We only passed through Potosi and didn't visit the colonial centre but from what we did see, I was glad we didn't stay there. The bus from Sucre takes around 8 hours as I recall.

Tupiza is a very nice little tow and we enjoyed our few days there and I would highly recommend Tupiza. Tours for the Uyuni trip. Very professional with non of the problems associated with the. Uyuni operators I read so much about here and elsewhere.

A link to our blog with some photos and more detail on Sucre and Tupiza etc.

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Relevant part start at entry# 29

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

Hi again Rasteriasha,

Option "a" isn't an option (no flights).

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

Hello :-))) Well, that makes things easier, no to Potosi :-))

8 hours on a bus, I don't know if I can convince him that's a great idea. Are these buses tourist-class, or the more extreme version? Sorry for so many questions, but did you also have to reserve the buses in advance?

Thanks again guys!

London
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

We bought the tickets at the bus station on the day but I think you can buy them the day before. There wasn't a problem getting seats. Not sure how you would define "tourist class" but I don't think these were it. Not as bad as some of the buses we took in Ecuador (no livestock on board!) but not especially comfortable. The better buses tend to ply the longer overnight routes.

8 hours was one of the shorter trips we took but it did seem to drag. Potosi is about halfway but we stopped there only for a toilet break ( closed!) . Roads a re pretty good now. Tarmac all the way.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

Hmmm. Well, no livestock is uplifting! So looks like a long bus ride either way...OK, sounds like through Sucre is the way to go! Thanks again!

6. Re: Best way to get to Tupiza fromLaPaz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19