We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking South America, Advise on flying

San Ramon...
9 posts
Save Topic
backpacking South America, Advise on flying

Hello, I am an American planning on backpacking around South America with my girlfriend for about 10 weeks leaving this April (yes in less than a month)-June 10th. We plan on flying to most of our destinations because of the limited time that we have and how big South America is.

A quick look at our trip will start in:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1 week)

fly to Iguazu Falls for (2 nights)

fly to Buenos Aires (1week)

fly to el calafate or puerto Natales (2 weeks)

fly to Santiago, Chili (1.5 weeks)

fly to La paz, Bolivia (1 week)

fly to Lima, Peru (2 weeks)

fly to Quito, Ecuador (1 week)

This is a very loose itinerary of what we would love to see. Does anyone have experience flying around South America or using a South America Air Pass? Any and all of advice is very much appreciated, thank you for your time!

We also plan on staying at hostels and possibly volunteering places to try and save as much money as possible.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking South America, Advise on flying

I would concentrate more on some regions and make less flights, maybe take a bus from La Paz to Lima and stop at Cuso.

London
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking South America, Advise on flying

I agree with AnvS re reducing the number of countries you intend to visit. When travelling in South America "less really can mean more" We have done two six month trips in the last six years and didn't cover as much ground as you are planning in ten weeks. Travelling by bus is a good option on a lot of routes as many longer journeys are overnight this saving both time and accomodation cost.

Returning to you original question, there are air passes available, certainly with LAN and I think with Aerolinas Argentina. Both have to be nought outside the country alongside your main ticket. I did look at them but discounted them immediately as they didn't seem good value and seemed a bit inflexible.

3. Re: backpacking South America, Advise on flying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27