We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

We are fit retired Canadians in our early 60s who enjoy hiking & sight-seeing. Museums, galleries, parks, sunshine, unusual topography and churches all OK. My wife and I spent the lion's share of this past winter in Colombia, trotting around the coffee growing area with extended stays in Bogota & Medellin. Before that we spent two previous winters in Peru and in Argentina, for about 7 weeks in each country. For this winter coming I WAS contemplating Chile but have come to realize that it is simply too expensive to travel and get reasonable accommodations. Also, too much time in the air...

I am now thinking that Bolivia might be a good destination. We are not high-velocity travellers and would like to spend 7 weeks from (roughly) mid January to mid March in about a dozen different locations in Bolivia, some for as long as a week, others for just a few days. Big cities, small cities, villages. Jungle & desert.

If I don't get a sensible itinerary for Bolivia, my wife will too, too likely drag us off to some dank part of southeast Asia, so any help would be appreciated. If you had to pick 5 or 10 places to visit in Bolivia, what would they be? Just give me the names of preferred places and I'll do the rest.

Mike

Bolivia
Level Contributor
250 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

Bolivia is the most affordable place to visit in South America. Lots of diversity. Unfortunately Jan-March is the rainy season in most of the country. But that shouldn't stop you. My suggestions: La Paz, Copacabana and Isla del Sol, Madidi National park and the pampas, Uyuni and the southwest, Tupiza, Sucre and Potosi. Good luck with the planning!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

Loroito:

Thanks for the reply and the destination suggestions and the warning about the rain. One thing I do know about rain is that, unlike snow, I don't have to shovel it. I will check out the weather history of the places you have suggested, and of Bolivia in general, to see what we can expect for weather before I make any plans.

Mike

London
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

We spent a couple of months in Bolivia last year. Full details and lots of photos are on our blog @ …travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html entries 22 on cover. Bolivia.

I would agree entirely with Loroito's suggestions of places to visit and the comments re travel in the rainy season ( although to be fair the weather would be better in SE Asia at that time of year:-) that is where we are headed in 2015.

Places I would return to in a heartbeat would be Uyuni, Madidi and Sucre. Two months there and we still missed a lot. Have fun planning. Happy to help with any specific questions that may arise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

Mike - from another silver-haired world traveller - look onto a circuit of the Misiones villages from Santa Cruz de la Sierra. They are magic. A chain of beautifully restored 18c painted churches, built by the Jesuits almost 100 years before the better known ones in California. You will find details in any of the Bolivian guide books. Each village has a sleepy town square, a beautiful church, some shops and most have a restaurant and a small hotel. Not too many tourists so the locals are delighted to see you and welcome you. Climate is warm and tropical. There is quite a lot of travelling along amazing red dirt roads lined by virgin rain forest - everything red, green and blue! Local transport is limited and we ended up using the expertise of a local tour agency gruporosario.com/our-destinations/missiones who were excellent. I went to the music festival this year (it is every other year and the next is 2016) and it was one of the most memorable trips of my life, but even though there isn't a music festival in 2015 it is still well worth going to the Misiones.

Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

Corieco, Samaipata, Copacabana and Sucre.

Santa Cruz de la...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

Well, some places you have to visit is La Paz (to see the diferent museums and history of the country), with a circuit to Tiawanacu - Titicaca Lake Copacabana - Sun and Moon Island, for history and landscapes, Uyuni, with amazing views, if you're more likely to warm places, Coroico, Sucre (that also have a lot of history). Good luck!!

7. Re: Extended Tour of Bolivia? Early in 2015...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 18:16