We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cholita Wrestling??

Calgary
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cholita Wrestling??

I have read about the cholita wrestling matches in El Alto on Sundays both on the internet and in National Geographic. I am very interested in attending, but can find nothing about it on this forum. Has anyone ever been? How did you get there, where do they take place, and what time does it start? Gracias!

Madrid
Level Contributor
156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cholita Wrestling??

Hey...

I went to One of thee Cholita Wrestling matches when I was in Bolivia and found it to be quite entertaining,but a bit sexes for my taste and Men beating women isnt my idea of Fun..never the less its quite Unique and worth visiting if youre into that kind of stuff..

The easy way to get tickets its by going to any Travel Agency in Downtown La paz and going on an Organized group tour which includes Transport/ Front Row seatTickets/Snacks for about $15-$20 usd

The way I did it...was On Sunday around 2pm I took a Taxi from My Hotel in Downtown La paz to El Alto(The Taxi driver knew exactly where to go when I said I wanted to see Cholita wrestling in El alto)and just borught tickets once we Got there..There was a Huge Line...if You want to go as the locals do you will probally have to wait about 2 hours in line and pay like 1usd per ticket and sit on the Bench

OR

you can pay the tourist price of about $7usd which includes a Front Row seat,Snacks,2 restroom visits,A person Helping you get a Taxi back to your hotel and a small momento.Thats what I got and waited like half and hour on line..these tickets are easier to get and usually dont sell out as the cheaper ones.

Ofcourse it helped alot I speak Spanish & was able to get what I needed.If you dont speak basic spanish & dont have patience then an organized trip my be best for you.

The Taxi ride to El alto was about 25 minutes and quite scenic seeing La Paz from High above..so Take a Camara

Enjoy!

Calgary
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cholita Wrestling??

Thanks so much for this info! It is exactly what I was looking for!

3. Re: Cholita Wrestling??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about La Paz