We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Alto Market

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
El Alto Market

hi, my wife and I would be visiting La Paz in early October and we contemplate to visit El Alto market. How safe is it to go into the market? What would be the safest way getting to market? Any other information you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Alto Market

We did the Thursday market with our own driver and guide as part of a full day tour of La Paz. . There are buses but they were full with people hanging out. It was busy but we didn't feel threatened. We stayed in the main area. We'd been warned not to wear expensive jewellery or watches and to keep tight hold of bags (the usual precautions). It was a fascinating experience. Our pictures begin here:

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/sth_amer_10_…

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Alto Market

thank you EESW, pictures are great.

did you find it intimidating in any way to wonder around the market?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Alto Market

We didn't although we did have a guide with us and we kept to the busy areas.

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Alto Market

thank you

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: El Alto Market

Thanks for those great photos, EESW-brings back memories!! ;-)

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Alto Market

HI , El alto market called locally "16 de Julio" due to the date of a liberty revolution in La Paz , that took place in 1809, is quite an adventure, the time we went there we did not feel threatened at all, I can tell you we had one of the best tourist guide as all over , but still we felt we did not need much information, streets are crowded, specially on Sundays and people all mixed, as our guide told us it started as a Car selling market and eventually as it attracted so many people they started setting up all types of things to be sold everywhere, there are streets that are specific to certain goods and also some others to sell "stolen" or hot goods, it is of course not a good idea to take any values around but the experience you get may be quite rewarding.

Just get any "Minibus" across from San Francesco Church, that leads to the "Ceja" and get off at the "Pasarela de la Feria" on the road to el alto called "Autopista" then climb up the stairs, (Slowly) and enter the jungle! as a practical advice I would not take my big Camera (rather a small one) and not much money (Unless you want to buy some bolivian style goods there) enjoy..

Miky

7. Re: El Alto Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 18:22