We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Does any one have experience (good or bad) mountaineering with 'Bolivian Mountain Guides' http://www.bolivianmountainguides.com/.

Their website looks great but I think they are quite new their name is TM 2010.

Thanks for the help

18 replies to this topic
Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Hi Lauren B.

I have just come back from 2 weeks with Eduardo Mamani Quispe, owner of Bolivian Mountain Guides, mountaineering in the Cordillera Real. He is one of the most experienced mountain guides in Bolivia.

3 years ago, we worked with Bolivian Mountain Guides for a 12 day trek of the front side (facing Lago Titicaca) of the Cordillera Real at the end of which we ascended Huayna Potosi. That time Andres was our trekking guide and Pedro our mountain guide.

I highly recommend this company if you are interested in knowledgeable, safety conscious mountain experiences. Their prices are higher than anything you can buy on Calle Sagarnaga - but you also get first rate service, great gear - we spent our nights in a brand new North Face Summit series tent suited for the experience - well-thought out, quality food, and plenty of it. All the guides, cooks we have meet have been excellent.

Eduardo speaks Spanish - not much English. Pedro does speak pretty good English. I usually look at the guide, not language - as I speak both.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 16:10
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Hi, does anyone have any more updates on this company? We are thinking of booking a hiking trip with them for May!

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Nothing new, except Eduardo/Bolivian Mountain Guides is on Facebook now and regularly posts from trips. http://facebook.com/bolivianmountainguides

Might give you a better sense of the man and the company.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Thanks Inga...Those pictures look amazing!!!! one more month! :-)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

if you go on summitpost, forum for south america many of the posters do recommend them esp. Eduardo

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Alright cool, about to reserve with them, will let you know what happens in May ;-)

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Have a great time! Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

We have recently returned from a trip to Huayna Potosi and had an amzing experience with Bolivian Mountain Guides. Our tour guide was called Pedro and he was extremely knowledgeable about the route and about the trek/climb. He had perfect english and whilst the guides of our fellow climbers who had gone with different companies had not been very motivational and had tried to encourage them to return on the day we were due to reach the summit, Pedro kept us motivated and cheerful. The food was great, we actually had way too much and it was all really tasty. We also had good quality gear and extra blankets at base camp. Definitely worth the extra money!

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Thanks for the update. Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with Pedro as your guide. He is great. He was our mountain guide for this climb in 2010, too. Like you we found a marked difference between Bolivian Mountain Guides approach, knowledge and service and anybody else.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?

Hi,

I am planing to visit Bolivia this summer (June 20th) and planning to do Pequeno Alpamayo, Huayna Potosi and Sajama with Bolivianmountains. I have registered for their fixed departure dates and I am only one so far registered for these dates.

One of my friends just came back from Bolivia and she did hers through Bolivian Journeys and did not have good experience with the guide which is making me very nervous..........

How do you recommend Bolivianmountains?

Reply to: Bolivian Mountain Guides -Good or bad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted