We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for trip to La Paz

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for trip to La Paz

I have a 19yr old son who is flying into Lima next week,taking a bus to La Paz and then spending a month working on a charity project;could anyone give a bit of advice on the following questions

1.How long will it take him to bus from Lima to La Paz?and is it a safe journey?

2 Hes asthmatic,and has assured me that its not an issue for asthmatics to be at high altitude;is there anyone who has found that the altitude is an issue for those with breathing problems?and yes,i am worried!

3 What is the weather like in march/april?will he need to pack winter and summer clothes?

4 Is there any particular advise you would give to him for his trip?.....what would you tell a young man on his first trip to the area?

I really would appriciate any help!Many thanks in advance

London
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for trip to La Paz

I am not 100% sure but i don't think there is a direct bus from Lima to La Paz. we did the trip in stages. Lima to Cusco (24 hours). Cusco to Copacabana (about 12 hours). Copacabana to La Paz (5 hours). the first section to Cusco is a pain but it does give you a chance to acclimatise slowly. Given the asthma i would spend a night or two in Cusco before going on to Puno or Copacabana which is the highest point the trip (i would do this even without asthma.

there is no reason that someone with asthma should not be ok at altitude but probably best to check with his GP beforehand and make sure he has adequate supplies of Ventolin etc.

it will be the cusp of the rainy season with the weather improving. i would certain take both summer and winter clothes as it can get cold at night.

we were in Peru and Bolivia for several months last year and found it to be perfectly safe as long as you take the usual precautions. Keep and eye on belonging, don't flash cameras around etc. get him to read up on http://www.artoftravel.com for some useful info

here is a link to my blog if you want to see some of the places he will be going to

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

2. Re: Advice needed for trip to La Paz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about La Paz