We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel reservation requirement

San Luis Obispo...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel reservation requirement

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to travel to Bolivia in September. I hear that I need a hotel reservation to get my visa upon arrival at the airport. Would a reservation for just the first night be enough?

Another question: how easy and expensive is it to book internal flights on short notice? It's impossible to know my itinerary. I might want to make it all the way to Tupiza and Tarija. From Tarija there are flights to Santa Cruz. If i do that, though, I need to be sure I'll be able to fly back to La Paz in time for my flight back home.

Also, anyone been to Tupiza? it looks enchanting. Never heard of it before I started researching this trip. I want to hike up one of those red rock mountains above the town. I can't wait!

London
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel reservation requirement

One nights accommodation would be fine.

As for flights, we took several in Bolivia and it was pretty easy to book on short notice. There always seemed to be availability although we tended to book as soon as we were sure of our departure date, usually 3-4 days before hand. Check out the. Amaszonas website but I don't think there is too much difference in price for booking in advance. People tend to use planes like buses in. Bolivia.

Tupiza is a great little town. We spent a few days there before our Uyuni trip. Some photos on my blog

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html entry 30

Bolivia is an amazing country. Have fun!

San Luis Obispo...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel reservation requirement

Thanks for your response. Your website is awesome! I'm having a great time reading your trip reports. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip with us :-)

London
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel reservation requirement

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed the blog.

San Luis Obispo...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel reservation requirement

Maybe you can help me out with your experience travelling in South America. I took buses from Quito to Lima in 2011 and I had a big problem with food on the long bus trips. Sometimes there were stops at comedores so everyone could have a meal, but often there was no stop long enough. It was thus necessary to bring along food. This was very difficult. I stayed in budget hostales, so I didn't have access to a refrigerator to keep a sandwich or something I bought the previous day. Buses often leave early, before any businesses open. So what to bring to eat? I bought so many cans of tuna and opened them with my Swiss army knife and had it with crackers . But one gets sick of tuna, and the mercury, scary. What else can one bring, for protein especially? There are lots of non-perishable snack junk food things one can bring, and out of desperation I resorted to that some of the time. There were a number of long bus trips at the end of which I was weak with hunger, not fun!

I'm planning to spend three or four weeks in Bolivia in September and I've gotta figure out something better. I would appreciate any wisdom you might have from your extensive travels. Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel reservation requirement

Buses in Bolivia are not the best, neither are the bus stations so you need to come prepared for longer bus journeys. We tended to buy bread, cheese, meat, fruit etc. and just make some sandwiches at our hostels the night before. All hostels generally had refrigerators but even if they don't it isn't too much of a problem as it is generally cold in most places!

There is no way of telling in advance whether there is likely to be a stop for food along the way. You can ask but the bus station staff either won't know or will just tell you what they think you want to hear. On one 8 hour trip we had a whole 5 mins for a toilet break and even then I had to prevent the bus driver from leaving so as not to leave my wife behind! On another trip we stopped for 30 mins at a restaurant but one brief glance convinced me not yo eat there ( bad believe me, I am not fussy!)

One essential is plenty of water. The high altitude rapidly dehydrates the body so it is essential to keep sipping water (but you do need to consider that rest stops are usually few and far between!!!)

6. Re: Hotel reservation requirement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about La Paz