We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombia May/June rainfall?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Colombia May/June rainfall?

Leaving for 6 weeks in Colombia on May 9th. Understand that May/June is the rainy season. Average rainfall is about 20 days each month.

Does that mean pretty much non-stop raining the whole time I'm there? Or, that it'll rain a bit everyday but get some sun too?

www.kaleidoscopeofcolor.com/colombia-2012/

Skip Hunt

Austin, Texas

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Hey Skip! Welcome aboard!

I'm delighted to see a few new recruits come over from LP.What else is on your mind besides the impending rain in Bogota?True in wintertime it rains a lot in Bogota.It's the one time of year when you don't leave home without a decent brolly.Hmmm as I recall last year after ? days of hard,we made a b-line for San Vitorino to purchase a couple pairs of wellies.

If the Bogota rain gets you down you can head over the Cordillera Oriental - Chipaque y Caqueza (home of the famous fritanga).IMHO I prefer to head a little futher down the road - Petite Uno(before long tunnel - Villavicencio).If you want drier weather Santa Marta/la Guajira is your best bet!

Edited: 02 May 2012, 05:55
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Hey playa4u!

Yeah, I really didn't even know TA had a forum. Thought it was just for hotel recs. Downloaded the apps for TA and Nomads, but didn't get any response from Nomad. Noticed TA is way more active with good and quick info.

Rain doesn't bother me, but as you may know... I'm a photographer and rain tends to put a damper on walking around with your camera. :)

Really don't plan on spending much time in Bogota. Just a couple days to get my bearings when I arrive, and maybe a couple days before I fly out. I'm not a beach person either, but may at least see one of them while I'm there.

Will check out the places you recommend. I'm on a shoestring budget (as always) and will be avoiding the most touristy of places (guessing the beaches?) but don't mind a day or two of touristy of the culture and image opportunities are worth the extra expense.

Do you think 6 weeks in Colombia will be rushed? Or, will I possibly have a little time to pop over the border into Ecuador for a few days as well?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Here in Medellin - we get rain but generaly not all day - if it is sunny in the morning will probably rain in the afternoon - rain in the AM - dry in the afternoon.

The climate can change very quickly here - go up to Rio Negro - only 30 kKM away - cooler and could be sunny if raining in Medellin or raining if sunny in the valley - go to La Pintada - about 60kms away - hot and more sun - so even surrounding Medellin you get a variety of climate.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
294 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Bogota non-stop rain and Medellin is off and on. I will need to spend the first week of next month (June) in Bogota then head over to Medellin for the remainder of the month and yes I am packing my rain gear (boots and rain jacket).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

So you don't have to go far to get away from non-stop rain. That's good. Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Will you be taking a cold weather jacket as well? Or will some creative layering under a rain jacket take care of most evenings?

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

We're there right now, also travelling on shoestring budget. Have so far done Popayan, Cali and Medellin. Has been sunny most mornings, rained heavily in the afternoon for a few hours and cleared up in the evenings.

6 weeks should be plenty.

If you stay in hostels and cook for yourself, you can get by on US$25 per day (though this doesn't include any excursions/tours etc)

Jon

Check out our RTW travel blog - www.theintrepidexplorers.com

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Awesome! I can splurge every now and then, but need to keep it low for the most part.

I'm also going to be carrying basic camping gear in my pack, ie. hammock, rain tarp, bivy sack, etc. Have you noticed if camping is frequently an option?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Camping is available in Parque Tayrona,Playa Blanca (CTG) you can also find campsites in Guias de Rutas por Colombia.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colombia May/June rainfall?

Not really noticed, but I have been staying in hostels mostly!

You can get a decent bed in a dorm with wifi for approx $8-$12

Jon

Check out our RTW travel blog - www.theintrepidexplorers.com