We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 chill days in Colombia

Vienna, Austria
6 posts
Save Topic
10 chill days in Colombia

Hi everyone,

I am meeting my girlfriend in colombia in august and we are travelling around for 10 days. Our idea is to enjoy a little bit of history (spending a couple of days in cartagena or bogota, which one is better?) but then spending most of our time in the nature ( in santa marta for the beaches or in the National park)

Do you have any recommendations on the best spots we should go for this?

we would love to go to a small island close by where we can chill without being sorrounded by other tourists for one or two days too.

Also I am flying to Bogota, wherever I go can I do it by bus so it is cheaper?

Thanks for the tips!!

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

You can get from Bogota to Santa Marta in 17 hours for about COP75,000. The beach in Santa Marta isn't that great - you're better off heading to Tayrona National Park or Taganga (if you want to dive). Both are a short cab ride away.

Bogota to Cartagena is around 20 hours and COP100,000. I prefer Cartagena to Bogota for history, but others may disagree! You can get to the Caribbean islands from here, but they're not going to be tourist free.

It would be a bit of a squeeze, but in 10 days, you could head to Cartagena, day trip to an island, then head to Santa Marta/Tayrona (5hrs on bus) before heading back to bogota.

There's two fairly lengthy bus rides there, so you may be better off flying.

Jon

www.theintrepidexplorers.com

Vienna, Austria
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

Thanks the itrepid explorers.

I am probably gonna flight on at least my way back to bogota so I can gain some time to spend there.

Which caribbean island would you recommend? is it possible to stay in one for a couple of nights or is it mostly just for daytrips?

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

Most people seem to head to Islas Del Rosario. It's a national park - you can take a cruise there, but I'm not sure if you can stay there. Playa Blanca on Baru Island is also pretty nice, and there are places to stay there. It's also a bit nearer, so may be a good option if you're only going for a day.

Jon

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

If you only have 10 days to chill - pick 3 spots to visit.Spending a little more money to fly will give you more time to relax on the beach.

- 2 days) Bogota sightseeing

- day 3) morning flight to Cartagena

- day 3/4 Cartagena

- day 5) morning bus trip - Santa Marta

Once in S/Marta - the rest of the day walking around town sightseeing.Now is a good time to work on your itinerary.There are plenty of options to see/do around S/Marta.You can take a day tour to various places or you can make your own way.Here are some ideas >> Minca offers nature,waterfalls clean waters for a refreshing swim.There are places to stay the night.

- Parque Tayrona has nice beaches,scenery - if you want to swim or snorkel choose a safe spot ie:Playa Cristal.The park has overnight accommodations,everthing from hamock - luxury Ecohabs.

In S/Marta/Cartagena - the better beaches tend to be outside the city area. Cartagena has Playa Blanca (Isla Baru) Islas Rosario have much smaller beaches.Both locations have overnight accomodations.

On the return - S/Marta - Bogota, flying is the quickest,there's a good selection of Colombian airlines that fly theese routes ie:Lan Colombia, Avianca,Easy Fly - check their websites for special deals.

Bus travel from S/Marta - Bogota will take a a whole day.

www.santamartacity.com/santa-marta-city

Vienna, Austria
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

Thank you all so much for the answers.

One last question.

Is the weather in colombia good to go the 3 week of august?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

Aaah, Bogota in August.

Average high: 64

Average low: 44

Avg. rainfall: 1.9 inches (one of the low months)

Cartagena

Avg high: 89

Avg. low: 79

Avg. rainfall: 4.9 inches (fourth highest month)

Lesson of the day: Weather "in Colombia" depends on whether you are in the highlands or the low areas.

WQst

http://youtu.be/PjKdFHdIAmw

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

Leticia, Amazonas was the highlight of our latest trip to Colombia. There are cheap tickets with Lan Colombia, http://www.lan.com/

I would recommend a 3 nights stay at Hotel Amazon Bed and Breakfast http://amazonbb.com This hotel is comfortable and at the same time an excellent base for excursions along the Amazon river.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

Leticia is very nice. Have just got back from a 4 day stay with one of the indigenous families down there. Would recommend it to anyone!

BUT...

You're not going to fit it in to a 10 day trip if you also plan to go to Bogota, Cartagena and Santa Marta.

Jon

9. Re: 10 chill days in Colombia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:40