We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medellin after "flower"

MI
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Medellin after "flower"

Couple of questions:

Thinking of a short trip from Cartagena to Medellin 12-14th.

Is the city "a mess" after the week-long celebration? I know here in the States it can take time for places to "clean up"/calm down. As a first time Colombia visitor, not really interested in the craziness of the celebration.

Also, want to take Avianca airlines Cart to Med. Do they fly into Medellin's main airport (quite far from the city), or do they fly to a smaller airport? Does anyone know of an airline that does?

Last Q: was quoted a price of $106 for a round trip flight through Avianca for TWO PEOPLE. Is this possible? Seems WAY to low from what I've read in the forums. Mom always taught me to question things that seem too good.

Thanks

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Medellin after "flower"

On Aug 12, the last day of the feria, you'll find the horse parade. Medellin doesn't need shedule to be a party, so they won't calm down, before or after the official dates.

About Avianca, tell your mom that it's true: even if the same flight can be 10 times more expensive, you still can book a round trip for two for 106US, which is great. The aircrafts are too big for the smaller airport Holaya Herrera so they always get the main one Jose Maria Cordova.

There are busses or taxis to reach the city. $4,50 the bus, $30 the taxi.

Have a nice trip to the eternal spring!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medellin after "flower"

Bus from Mde to centro - 7500 pesos- about 50 minutes

After the feria medellin cleans up very quickly, for a large city it is very clean,

Go for it if you can get a cheap flight, prices can be all over the board.

MI
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medellin after "flower"

Thanks for the reply CDY/Brigitte

Since you are both locals........any suggestions on places my friend and I should check out while there at night? Local food / fun? Will be staying in Poblado, but will wander a bit most likely.....

Thanks again

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medellin after "flower"

Check out the parque in Sabaneta on a Sunday afternoon, the parque her e in Envigado on a Saturday night - a lot different crowd than Poblado ( and more fun) there are countless smaller bars and clubs in both areas - much cheaper prices also, you could also check out 70 in Laurales - lots of restaurants and small bars also

MI
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medellin after "flower"

Thanks for the suggestions CDY. I will check out the places you suggested.

All safe for two gringo's to visit?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medellin after "flower"

I have survived - and have liveed in both ( sabaneta & Envigado)- yes they are all safe. You won't see many gringos but that is a good thing - means the prices will be lower than Poblado.

MI
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medellin after "flower"

CDY,

Are there any hotels you would recommend in the areas you suggested to visit (sabaneta & Envigado)? Right now we are staying in the Pablado area but wouldn't mind checking out other hotels to save on travel/taxi if they are near cool areas to eat / hang out.

Also, since we are coming during the tail end of the festival (Sat/Sun), where would be some of the areas you would suggest to check out, or would it be the areas you already mentioned.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again

8. Re: Medellin after "flower"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:17