We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What airline to fly to Colombia

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What airline to fly to Colombia

Hi,

I am planning travel from NYC to Colombia for Dec 19 to Jan 2 and plan to do Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena.

I've heard horrible things about Spirit (which is also the cheapest), so I don't think I want to use them. Has anyone else flown with them?

Also...what airline have you flown and what do you recommend?

Thank you!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

There's no obvious winner here. United, Jet Blue, and Avianca all have their pluses and minuses. Jet Blue and Avianca have nicer planes, but when things go wrong on Jet Blue they tend to go really wrong, and the airport experience with Avianca can be chaotic. Note that United flies some awful planes on these old Continental routes (stay away from the 757s, they're old and nasty) and their seats have less legroom than Jet Blue or Avianca (except in economy plus).

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

I fly Spirit all the time from FLL to MDE - never had a problem, but I don't make connections - also you have to factor in their bag costs for both checked and carry-on - usually can get a RT from $350 + bags

All depends on $$ - Jetblue to BOG is fine - they just don't fly to MDE so not a good fit for me - stay away from AA - being in BK and possibly being sold leads to very bad morale

Avianca and Copa good choices but usually a lot more

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

Thank you!

Owatonna, Minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

I have only flown into Medellin with LAN (from Quito) and with Copa/Aerorepublica (from Panama City). LAN is supposed to be one of South America's best airlines but I don't know if they have the route you need at a reasonable price. You mention various cities which leads me to believe you will be flying a bit domestically once in Colombia. Have you considered VivaColombia? Some people might shy away from a newer airline and I know they have had some problems with delays, but as long as you can be flexible it might be worth your consideration. Their airfares are very cheap--especially if you are able to take some of your trips with only carry on luggage.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

For flights within Colombia, I found Avianca is currently offering very reasonable promotional fares (around $70 US from Bogota to Cartagena). Their flight schedule is unsurpassed, with numerous nonstops each day to all major cities from the Bogota hub.

MI
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

I second the Avianca suggestion.

I recently purchased round trip tickets for 60$ from Cartagena to Medellin. I was pretty shocked at the prices on SOME flights. Some are really high.....others shockingly low. Just do some shopping.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

Yes,since this is a multi-city trip, I booked a combo of AeroMexico, Avianca and Copa.

Thanks everyone!!

8. Re: What airline to fly to Colombia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:16