We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route around Colombia - New Year

London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Route around Colombia - New Year

So I'm flying into Bogota, Colombia on Thurs 27th Dec. I'll be trying to meet a friend who will have been in Colombia since 8th December - he arrives into Cartagena from Panama.

Once we decide the best place in Colombia to meet and spend New Year, we are then planning on doing 4 months around South America (down through Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina).

What we are having difficultly with is deciding where to meet up - which is what we'd like some advice on?

I've heard amazing things about Cartagena & the North Coast of Colombia - so (selfishly!) I don't want to miss that.... but it does seem like it would be better for him to do that and then we meet up somewhere in central Colombia (as I will be flying into Bogota).

But as I say, don't want to miss out on the best part of Colombia. So here is what I was currently thinking...

Fly in to Bogota, 27th -> travel to Cartagena on 28th (1 stop on the way - any advice where to stop?) -> arrive & meet my friend in Cartagena on 29th/30th -> spend NY in Caragena -> bus to Medellin around 4/5th Jan -> Popayan -> San Augustin -> Ecuador.....

We'd love to hear your thoughts - places not to be missed, places that we could miss, and things that are great to do if you had extra time (e.g. for my friend to do before I arrive).

Thanks guys.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route around Colombia - New Year

San Agustin was the highlight of my recent 11-day trip to Colombia. (I did not make it up to Cartagena). I strongly regret not having more than an hour in Popayan. Definitely do not miss out on San Agustin and Popayan.

If you're traveling from Southern Colombia into Ecuador -- and this is another place I was not able to make on my very limited time allotment -- hit Las Lajas Cathedral, close to the Ecuadorian border. Everyone tells me it is amazing. I wish I had first hand knowledge to pass along with regards to that site.

I don't dislike Medellin, but I don't think it's essential.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 00:28
2. Re: Route around Colombia - New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 09:16