We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

Hey Guys,

So my friends and I are planning to visit Colombia from the end of June to the beginning of July.

Right now,tickets from Chicago to Bogota cost mid-$500.

Should we buy our tickets now or wait till Feb.?

Thanks,

J

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

They are not going to get much cheaper- i would grab them now.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

That airfare is probably about average for your trip. The only way you will get it cheaper is if you fly with Spirit and manage to get in on one of their one or two day specials, but there is no guarantee that their special will be to Cartagena.

From where I fly, Detroit, it is usually close to $600 to fly to Cartagena, but I managed to get a deal when they offered it only for a day or two at the price of $338.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

Yes but to get Spirits best deals you need to be a member of their club, $60/year plus all bags cost - so factor in another $60 for 2 bags - each way

I fly Spirit a lot but if you dont know their tricks a $300 airfare can quickly turn into $450

Also they limit their weight on checked bags to 40lbs - another little gotcha

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

So you guys think I should buy the ticket before Feb.? Thanks

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

hey there i been looking to book tickets to colombia from calgary canada for december till january but so far i've found some but too damn expensive is there a reason why there like 300 more than last years?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

"300 more than last years"

I'm not sure which Airline you're looking at?

Have you done a United search YYC - HOU - BOG ; you could also search Spirt/Jet Blue

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

Yes, United through IAH (Houston) USD 819 in August.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

I paid $863.80 via Cheapair.com. It was the cheapest ticket I can find at the time (about 2 weeks ago) AeroMexico flying from Houston to Bogota and leaving Cartagena back to Houston from August 2nd - Sept 3rd.

Hit me up if you're going to Colombia at the same time. Would love to have some travel buddies as I'm traveling solo.

Dasa

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

Supply and demand - Colombia is becoming more popular - for both tourism and business - plus thousands of Colombians live in the US and like to go back to visit - with the economy improving - more are returning for visits.

Combine these togethers - higher prices, also anythime school is out in the summer in the States or Colombia prices are higher and around Navidad - super high. September/October is usually less expensive.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to book a summer flight to Colombia?

There is no explanation for Canadian airline prices - it's a gougers market, fewer airlines mean less competition. United like most sites is an international booking site; there are only so many cheap seats available, snooze you loose.

You could sign up for TA FareCompare, you set your price for intended departure/arrival i.e. $1000, when the price drops below the target price you get an email prompting you to travel :) Mind you these are computer generated sample prices; someone has booked a ticket on your route and paid x $,by the time you logon the price may have changed. Coincidently? while typing this post my incoming email ding displayed a FareCompare sampling $784 YVR - BOG (529 choices) yes you have a mind boggling 529 choices YVR - BOG, Timbuktu overnight layovers may add to the total price ...

The bottom line is you have to be flexible to find "cheap seats" other than that you could employ some Ouija board science.