We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

I've searched the boards and seen some opinions, but I'm hoping the community can help give me some insight to a country I don't know much about. I'm looking to enroll in a Spanish school for maybe 3-4 weeks this summer. What city would you choose to study in? Medellin? Bogota? Cartagena? Somewhere else? My Spanish is good, but far from fluent. I'm an early 30s single male who would like to be somewhere relatively safe (though I'm used to big cities), where i can have some fun, meet some people, polish my language skills and hopefully see a bit of the country. Money isn't really an issue as my employer will significantly offset the costs. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
Medellin
Medellin
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
28 replies to this topic
1. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2018, 22:05

Pereira, Colombia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

By the way, you would be in an apartment with other people who are staying longer or taking classes, which makes it less expensive than staying in the hostel itself.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Daniel, self-promotion is not permitted on the forum, however you are allowed to sign in as an "owner or staff" to discuss posters questions regarding your business.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/help/owners#c1

btw the "Cholao" drink sounds yummy

Pereira, Colombia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Hi, I'm sorry for that! You can delete my post.

And yes, you should come over and try Cholao! ;)

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Danny,tranquillo no se preocupa.. si tiene mucha pena borrelo...8 )

I do agree a trip to Zona Cafetera would be a good place for laxtraveller to further practice his Spanish...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Depends on what you like.

Cartagena: hot weather (look up the rainy season though), caribbean atmosphere and music and food (i.e. coconut flavoured rice, lots of seafood), very touristy but still nice, very colourful and picturesque. Nearby islands, boat trips, beaches, mud volcano.

Medellín: medium altitude, spring weather but it can also rain a bit, modern, hip, good public transport (also metros and metrocable), various very different neighbourhoods (El Centro is dodgy), many parks, good nightlife. The city can be smelly of smog.

Bogotá: higher altitude, cold nights, daytime can be t-shirt weather, smelly of smog and fumes, lots of traffic (jams), a bit rough but also hip, art scene (street art, theatre), lots of young students, beautiful Monserrate mountain (but after going up once, you probably won't need to do it again).

Another option (if they have a language school) might be the cute town of Salento in the coffee region, near the beautiful Valle de Cocora. From there you can visit coffee farms and do the hike through the Valle.

I'm pretty sure San Gil has language schools, this is a mellow, safe small city with lots of outdoor activities nearby such as rafting, mountainbiking, parapenting etc. The main plaza is extremely nice after about 4pm and safe to sit on after dark as well; lots of families and people of all ages gather there to just socialize.

So it's up to you: are you looking for hot weather or for partying or for outdoor activities??

Edited: 23 February 2013, 01:54
Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Salento
Salento
Quindio Department, Colombia
San Gil
San Gil
Santander Department, Colombia
7. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 March 2013, 12:35

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Cartageneraby, this looks an awful lot like self promotion, which is forbidden here on the forums.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

Bingo acek; they´re definitely not pulling the wool over our eyes. There are also a few posters on here who sublimely use their avatar as a business card.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?

I also want to go to Colombia and learn some Spanish. When I started to ask many people told me that in Cartagena they speak too fast, and for me, my Spanish is very poor, it could be a little challenging. So I’m thinking of going to Bogota.

I have contacted 2 schools there (just through email) and they have answered all my questions promptly. I have not decided yet

nuevalengua.com( I like the activities shown there)

learnmorethanspanish.com (they have different classes and another campus in the country side)

Hope this can help

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Cartagena
Cartagena
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Reply to: Best City for Spanish Lessons in Colombia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted