We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venezuela affecting Colombia?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Venezuela affecting Colombia?

So, a friend and I are thinking of going to Colombia (Bogota) the second week of June. We are both American, he is fair skinned and redhead and speaks no Spanish, I am fair skinned but w/ dark features and speak some Spanish. He is a flight attendant and goes to Bogota often as he tends to have layovers there but he’s never really ventured out of the hotels he stays at; I have NEVER been to Colombia. Any other time in history I’d be completely comfortable going to Colombia with no problems (aside from exercising basic common sense) but during this political unrest with neighboring Venezuela I wasn’t sure if it’d be the best time to go to South America, particularly Colombia due to its close proximity to Venezuela. Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone who’s gone to Colombia recently experienced anything not so positive because of this issue or is it a non-issue on Colombia (at least for now), and might it be in June? Lol.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,630 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

Colombia is sitting back and laughing at Venezuela. The situation across their border has nothing to do with tourists in Colombia. Relax.

Cheers,

Terry

milan
Level Contributor
124 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

relax!!Colombia is one of the very few places where gringos are well accepted!!

u can go outside the hotel without any problem...if u stay in the proper parts of the city ..

so dont worry and enjoy colombia...u ll love it!!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

Have a good time and no worries about Venezuela, get your friend out of his hotel room and explore, he will be kicking himself for not doing it sooner.

I have a couple of flight attendent buddies who work for Spirit, they do everything they can to get the Colombia routes, one even lives in Medellin and commutes to Ft Lauderdale for work.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

Howdy,

Being in Medellin tonight, I feel compelled to chime in here. My wife and I walked all over Medellin today. What an interesting a vibrant city with a very interesting history. Although there were some bad areas, on the whole Medellin is not unsafe. You have to have street smarts, but this is not a scary place. We have seen no other Americans.... That is not a bad thing! We are heading to Bogota tomorrow and we were just in Cartagena. Cartagena was a blast. Great food to boot.

I think Colombia gets a bad reputation in the US and just like many other places that reputation stays in the American pschye. When telling people we were going to Colombia, many friends asked us if we were crazy. The sad part is that in reality many parts of the US are just as violent at this point. Mexico is more dangerous than Colombia in many places. Yet, just as I used to think, most Americans think Colombia is the same country it was 15 or 20 years ago. Wrong. I never thought I would set foot in Medellin. It used to be one of the most dangerous cities in the world. It has changed. Still has problems, but not like before.

Colombia is a great place to visit... I just hope too many Americans don't figure that out. There is crime in Colombia, but unless I am missing something there was not a bombing in Colombia last week. There was in Boston.And now I live 300 miles from the most dangerous city in the world- Juarez. Times have changed!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

Please do not worry. I go to Bogota every year (my wife is from there). I am English, VERY blonde hair and (still) hardly speak any Spanish. I have never encountered a problem and on the contrary find people very friendly. Just use common sense (you are in a foreign country and hardly speak to language). Just do a lot of research before you go and be aware of where the tourist areas are.

I was quite apprehensive before my first visit and it is easily my favourite city anywhere and I cant wait to go back.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
418 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

"Any other time in history I’d be completely comfortable going to Colombia with no problems"

Actually Colombia is much safer now compared the the 1980's and 1990's - as fas as street crime is concerned.

I am not sue if Cortada86 is referring to the Chavez vs Uribe style border skirmishes aimed to consolidate internal support when there is political instability? It's less likely to occur now because Santos does not need it and Maduro, while needing it, does not have the critical mass to launch it. Either way, it's not going to affect Colombia as a country, or the rest of South America

7. Re: Venezuela affecting Colombia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:19