We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

hello fellow travelers. i am planning to spend 18 days in Colombia this August and am having a difficult time deciding on how to full my days.

I currently fly into Medellin and have 3 full days there. Then I fly from MDE to Cartagena and will route to Santa Marta ( is it worth a full day or two there?) from there to start a 5 days tour of Ciudad Perdida. I plan to also spend a day at Tayrona and maybe a couple of days in Santa Marta before heading back towards Cartagena. I am planning to spend 4 full days in Cartagena.

So, that leaves me with about 4 days that are not filled. I am considering:

-Cabo de la vela

-Islas del Rosario

-Punta Gallinas

OR any other suggestions? I am looking to relax on a beach for a few days but any suggestions are welcome! Also, what would be the best way to get from Cartagena airport to Santa Marta?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo de la Vela
Cabo de la Vela
217 Reviews
La Guajira Department, Colombia
Punta Gallinas
Punta Gallinas
215 Reviews
Uribia, Colombia
Jose Marie Cordova Airport
Jose Marie Cordova...
Medellin, Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Medellin
Medellin
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Santa Marta
Santa Marta
Santa Marta District, Colombia
Tayrona National Park
Tayrona National Park
Paipa Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Anai Tours
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

La Guajira is well recommended and you can do a tour if you want that is two days - I did it a few years ago and was really glad I did it. More time would be better but two days certainly gave me a taste of the area. Most tour agents in Santa Marta have the tours.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Marta
Santa Marta
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

thank you. i am planning on a tour to Cabo de la Vela. Have you heard anything about which tour company would be better- Turcol or Magic Tours?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Cabo de la Vela
Cabo de la Vela
217 Reviews
La Guajira Department, Colombia
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

I know it's a long way from Northern Colombia where you will be for most of your trip, but if you could get all the way down south to San Agustin, you would not regret it. With transportation to and from there -- there is no airport near San Agustin -- Neiva at four hours north is the closest -- so San Agustin requires a three-day commitment minimum including transport. The Archaeological Park there is amazing. And, if you could, leave a day to sightsee in beautiful Popayan.

Mentioned in this post
San Agustin Archaeological Park
San Agustin...
811 Reviews
San Agustin, Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
San Agustin
San Agustin
Huila Department, Colombia
Neiva
Neiva
Huila Department, Colombia
Popayan
Popayan
Cauca Department, Colombia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

thank you for the suggestions!

5. Re: 3 weeks in Colombia-- need help filling days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17