We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to exchange money??

Ouray, Colorado...
3 posts
Save Topic
Best place to exchange money??

I have read so much conflicting information on where to get the best exchange rate for USD. I have been told to exchange my US dollars in America before heading to Cartagena, but also heard to exchange it at the airport once I have landed in Cartagena. But then I have also read to go to banks during the day or use an ATM... Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to exchange money??

ATM.

Cheers,

Terry

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to exchange money??

Never exchange dollars at the airport in the US - by far the biggest ripoff

Just wait and use your ATM in Colombia.

You can exchange dollars at the airports in Colombia, not as bad as the States,

The dollar is up to about 1860 pesos so you are in luck, 6 months ago everything would have been 10% more.

Ouray, Colorado...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to exchange money??

Thanks to the both of you for the response! I will skip the exchange at the us airport. But I was planning on bringing a fair amount of USD with me to exchange upon arrival. Should I just keep the cash on my card and do the ATM's as suggested?

Kaoshiung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to exchange money??

I would bring a couple hundred bucks which you can change some or all at the airport and just get the rest of your traveling money from an ATM.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 08:17
5. Re: Best place to exchange money??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:17