We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

Zwolle, Overijssel...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

Im making the trip from Armenia along Salento to Jardin and Medellin. Want to do Valle de Cocora, a coffee tour, thermales, national park and some sightseeiing. I was wondering what the best way would be to spend a day or two in zona cafetera as a solo traveller; looking for an authenic place to stay and a dedicated guide. Not planning on renting a car or going off road too far. Would Jardin be a good second choice for the coffee and instead pick a national park around Manizales instead of the usual cafetera area? Let me know guys. Thanks!

David

Netherlands

Ps: leaving for Bogota july 11th. If you go too and want to go out, let me know!

Mentioned in this post
Armenia
Armenia
Quindio Department, Colombia
Salento
Salento
Jardin
Jardin
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Medellin
Medellin
Manizales
Manizales
Caldas Department, Colombia
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Kaoshiung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

This place is pretty cool right outside Manizales.

You can get a coffee tour and hike all over the place.

They will send someone to pick you up to take you to the finca.

http://www.haciendavenecia.com/

Kawa650Colombia

http://gotocolombia.com/blog/

Edited: 28 June 2013, 04:12
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

Jardin is one of the hidden gems in Colombia; don't miss it. Do the horse ride to the cave with a waterfall; other hikes along mountain paths to waterfalls also exit. You can fish for trout in one of the farms (I think you can stay there as well); and also visit a coffee farm with amazing views. The main square is very cool just for hanging out.

Mentioned in this post
Jardin
Jardin
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

Jardin is a way cooler than Salento but it doesn't have El Valle de Cocora...; )

Mentioned in this post
Jardin
Jardin
Salento
Salento
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

Have a guide/driver take you around the Zona Cafetera. I did a tour of the Valle de Cocora tour for the wax palms, a few hours in Salento (where I had the best meal I had in Colombia -- and I had many great ones -- but, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the restaurant), and toured a coffee demonstration farm. Great times. I stayed at a hotel in Quimbaya, right near PANACA. Sadly, I did not have enough time to actually tour PANACA.

Mentioned in this post
Salento
Salento
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Quimbaya
Quimbaya
Panaca
Panaca
682 Reviews
Quimbaya, Colombia
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

I spent about a week in that region in Jan-Feb 2013. A countryside hotel near Armenia; couple of days in Salento, one of which doing a short coffee tour at finca Don Elias + walk to and from there (2 hours each way); another day doing a hike in Valle de Cocora (amazing! highly recommended); some days in Santa Rosa de Cabal, visiting two termales (Termales de Santa Rosa which was my favourite because of the great view onto a waterfall, and Termales de San Vicente which was also pretty cool).

I really liked Salento too. One street is very touristy but the rest of the town is very mellow and people are friendly. Hostal Tralala was excellent, but is popular so make a reservation as soon as you know your dates.

2 days sounds like very little if you want to do all those things you mentioned. Keep in mind that you might lose half a day just travelling from Salento to the termales, for example...

I heard good things about Jardin but didn't manage to make it there.

Cecilia (also from the Netherlands)

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Edited: 30 June 2013, 22:27
Mentioned in this post
Armenia
Armenia
Salento
Salento
Santa Rosa de Cabal
Santa Rosa de Cabal
Risaralda Department, Colombia
Jardin
Jardin
6. Re: Zona Cafetera for solo travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18