We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Test - Avianca

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Test - Avianca

Avianca

Alliance: Star Alliance

Route: Bogota to Cartagena

Flying time: 1 hour and 20 minutes

Aircraft. Airbus A320-200

Class. Economy

Seat. Exit row, 15K

Luggage: Two checked in bags up to 23 kg per bag plus one carry on item up to 7kg.

Checking in: Avianca allows a web check in up to 24 hours before departure where you can select your seat, add your frequent flyer number and print your boarding pass or have it sent to your mobile or email to print later.

The process is simple, and the bag drop at Avianca's exclusive Puente Areo terminal is fast, and with my Star Alliance silver membership, priority bag tags are attached.

Comfort: the leather seats are comfortable, and I was surprised at the leather covering on the seat belt also. My exit row seat has some more leg room than the standard economy seating, but on this short flight it is not essential.

The aircraft appeared to be either quite new or in excellent shape, the cabin was clean, and fresh.

Entertainment: Surprisingly the Airbus comes with in seat entertainment, with Avianca's movies, and other shows as well as the standard flight map.

I don't partake, but a great idea on the airline's longer routes this type of aircraft operates such as into Miami and other close South American countries.

Service: A juice was served during the flight, reasonably appropriate for this short flight. Tea and coffee also available.

Boarding was about 15-20 minutes late, however we still arrived on time into Cartagena.

My bags were one of the first off the carousel and I was into my awaiting transfer car within 15 minutes upon arrival.

Flight frequency: Avianca flys many direct services into Cartagena from Bogota daily.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Test - Avianca

Yes, Colombian domestic flights are closer to European levels of service than to US levels of service. I am always astonished by the poor cabin condition of US domestic flights.

When anything goes wrong though, Colombian employees become useless as they can't take the littlest initiative without their boss permission, who himself will refer to his unavailable boss.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Test - Avianca

Fingers crossed I don't jinx myself, but the two flights so far have been smooth.

Easy online check in, priority baggage...so far so good!

3. Re: Flight Test - Avianca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:16