We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
292 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

I'm currently stuck in Villa de Leyva as the buses are apparently not running due to the protests. This has been going on since Monday. I need to catch a plane from Bogota airport tomorrow (Fri) lunchtime.

- do you have any infornation of how i can get to Bogota currently?

- do you have any information about a likely change in the situation in the next 24 hours?

- do you know if I could get to San Gil or is that road blocked too?

- can you recommend the best place for me to find up-to-date information on this?

Thanks!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

Hi

A good source of information will be the website of the Colombian Police Forces. They have a dedicated page to the road blockings

policia.gov.co/portal/page/portal/HOME/repor…

They say Tunja, Chiquinquira, and Sogamoso are blocked. These are the three major roads to get back to Bogota. From what I understand, the road to the North, San Gil and then Bucaramanga is not blocked. You may get some help from locals to make sure the road is open, and hop in a plane to Bogota from Bucaramanga. You have several LAN, Copa, and Avianca flights throughout the day. My guessing is that the bus trip would take like 6 to 8 hours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
292 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

V helpful! Any idea if bucaramanga buses go from same terminal in villa de leyva?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

No sorry I don't know.

If I were you, I'd go to the police station and tell them my story (having a flight back Friday from Bogota), and ask if the road to Bucaramanga is open. At least I'd have first hand information.

I don't know if there will be buses at all as I just read that a dozen buses have been damaged these last 3 days in the Boyaca. And if there are, price will go up for sure.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
292 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

Thanks for your help. Current info: no buses anywhere from Villa de leyva. Talks commencing in Tunja at 2pm...

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

There must be some little side road that you could use to divert around the roadblock perhaps you could charm a police official to drive you

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

...you could also enlist a good map and sympathetic local VdL resident to help you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
292 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

Thought had succeeded but driver has just lost his nerve after watching the news!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

I know it's not particularly comforting but there are worst places to be holed up in Colombia. Hmm my next thought is can you delay your flight without taking a major hit in the wallet?

Edited: 22 August 2013, 21:39
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

I dug up this Google map; check out the VdL road > Samaca - the road comes out before Puente de Boyacá:

http://goo.gl/uQmFll

Edited: 22 August 2013, 21:49
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
292 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trapped by protests:how to get from Villa de Leyva to Bogota

Some people suggesting getting to Chiquinquira - but can't find any info on tripadvisor or travel books?! Are there any nice hotels there near the bus station?