We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south america

Perth, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
south america

I want to travel to south america but have not a clue about where or what to do. I am 40 yrs old male , single and like to do it on a reasonable budget. Any suggestions would be great thanks. Maybe after there i' d like to travel north to maybe carrabean, cuba , mexico, canada and the home to australia.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south america

Your question is way too general to answer.

South America is a huge landmass with 13 countries and 3 dependencies. It's almost 2.5 times larger than Australia with almost 17 times more population. The continent has a staggering variety of culture, flora, fauna and geography.

Do some research then come back with more specific questions.

Cheers,

Terry

2. Re: south america

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 17:22
Wels, Austria
Level Contributor
23 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south america

what are your interests?

what is your budget and time period available?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south america

You posted this in the Colombia forum. And I would say Colombia is an excellent, affordable encapsulation of so many wonderful South American vacation options. What is it about South America that appeals to you? At the risk of sounding like a travel brochure, whatever it is, Colombia has got it.

You want to explore pre-Columbian historical sites? Yes, you can walk the Inca Trail in Peru. But the San Agustin area in Southern Colombia is an excellent choice.

You want to visit the Caribbean coast? Go to Cartagena. You want beaches? Santa Marta.

You want to eat great steaks like in Buenos Aires? The quality of food in Colombia is fantastic. The great steaks of South America is not limited to the Southern Cone.

Beautiful national parks. Colonial towns all through the countryside. Bogota and Medellin are there if you like major cities.

You could combine a visit to Colombia with a visit tot the Caribbean or Central America. There's geographical proximity. But it you want to cover more real estate, I think it would be more interesting to head south, and add Peru and Ecuador to your Colombia trip.

Perth, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: south america

Thanks for advice. I want to see and experience culture and history and also party too. Cool little villages and any awsome places a bit off the beaten track , but worth the effort, is what I'm looking for.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: south america

You are right in your question. First. Budget...in dollars not adjectives. Next...how much time do you have? Off the beaten track...no you don't want to do that. You need to do some reading on the various countries to get that clue that you don't have now. Better yet.... search for photos of those countries. Find something that looks neat to you. Make a note of it. Get a whole bunch of those. Research what the photos mean. Then get a map of South America. Mark those places on the map. Connect the dots in what seems like a logical order. Then come back and try and ask direct and pointed questions. Yeh... sure.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: south america

Nathan, to get you started tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g294073-Colombia-Vaca…

Just an observation; a well thought out itinerary may save you from the mosh pit mentality...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: south america

I agree with the rest that some more research is needed, and some more details about your budget and time available. "culture and history and also party too. Cool little villages and any awsome places a bit off the beaten track , but worth the effort, is what I'm looking for." > that can be found anywhere.

It would also help me if I knew what your travel experience to date is. Just Australia? Travelled solo before?

After having traveled in Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil, Colombia and Nicaragua myself, I can highly recommend:

- Brazil if you're into beaches, warm climate and music and nature and if you have enough money to spend and don't mind covering huge distances by flying;

- Bolivia if you don't mind being at high altitude most of the time, enjoy volcanic activity and stunning scenery that seems like another planet, less tourism, and low prices;

- Peru if you want a lot of highlights of all sorts packed into an affordable country that has quite busy tourist trails (but quieter places too);

- Nicaragua (obviously in Central America, but thought I'd mention it anyway) if you want a mix of carribean vibe and coffee cowboy culture, beaches and volcanoes all packed into a compact country with relatively short travel times, cool towns and low prices....

A combination of highlights of Peru and Bolivia (and northern Chile, San Pedro de Atacama & surroundings) is doable in about 6-8 weeks, see this (organized group) itinerary: koningaap.nl/rondreis-peru-bolivia-chili-gro… , see the bottom right for town names and a map (you will need more time to do this independently because you need time to find and book transport and hotels)

But for all I know you only have two weeks? Or 5 months?

I also enjoyed Colombia but for a first time traveler to South America I think the other countries would be more suitable... either because they are cheaper and/or smaller and/or easier to navigate and/or have more highlights packed into smaller space.

Like someone else suggested, you may want to consider booking an organized group tour, for example through GAP. That would require a lot less research....

Cecilia

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl/

Edited: 23 September 2013, 15:25
9. Re: south america

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 17:22
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: south america

Why am I thinking that this is one of those questions dreamed up over a couple beers by someone who has no intention?