We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

any opinions on some rental car companies? i have found two that will rent us a car in Bogota and let us leave it off in cartagena: VIP cars, and also, MILANO car rental. i know it is expensive and tiring, but this is how we want to do it. has anyone had any experience with these two companies, or can anyone suggest another?. we will be traveling this november. thank you

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

I don't know that company; however you might want to check out Hertz or euorcar who are also in Colombia to compare prices. If they offer you a GPS just be aware they are crap in the cities and not a great deal of help if off major landmarks or roads (the one I use anyway) - google maps etc will suffice and save you the additional cost. When you drive calculate the toll costs - they are frequent and expensive comparatively.

Its is a nice drive anyway, so doing it with your own car is a good way to see the country and make your own schedule. Have not done the whole trip from Bogota to the coast (only as far as Bucaramanga), however have done it from Medellin and I enjoyed it a lot as a one off trip (except for the utterly crazy drivers).

mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

thank you bicks for the info,especially about the gps, because we were considering using one. i have checked hertz and eurocar, and they are more expensive, but perhaps more reliable. we still have time to decide. living in mexico with the heavy tolls on our roads, colombia should probably be comparable. what we enjoy is to be able to go at our ouw pace, like you say, and enjoy the countryside and it's peoplle

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

I have clocked a lot of highway time in both countries; believe me the roadways in Mexico are a lot more organised than Colombia's, having said that so far I've avoided renting cars. I've had problems with shady U.S rental car companies; if you are renting a car from a relatively unknown identity in Bogota. make sure the i's are dotted...

www.rutasclombia.com puts out a road atlas of sorts; basic road maps and other helpful advice to help you plan ahead. http://automovilescolombia.com/ is another useful site to discuss your intended paseo with like minded Colombianos.

mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

thank you playa. i have ordered road maps of colombia and we are decided about the driving portion of our trip. we have lived in mexico for 30 some years and my husband is mexican,we speak spanish and should not have a problem. i hear from everyone that the driver s are crazy,but he will be very careful. if any one. can recommend just a little cheaper car rental company, we would appreciAte it. thanks

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

what are you paying? I paid 130 a day out of Medellin and could have got a smaller car 2 door for 110 pesos a day.

mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

hello again, bicks. thanks for answering. which company did you rent from? these are my quotes for five days, renting in Bogota and returning in cartagena

vips car rental : for a twingo is 338.55 dollars including tax and insurance, plus .50 cents per kilometer because we return in cartagena

eurocarental: for a spark is. 800 dollars plus tax, including return and insurance, or 848 dollars for a Kia, or 1007 dollars for an optra, plus tax

milano car rental. for a spark is 262.36 for the five days plus 445.22 for the return including insurance but not tax. surcharge of 8 percent for using a credit card

and last, but not least is hertz charging 1270 dollars for a Renault logan or 1582 dollars for an optra, no insurance included, but tax and return, yes.

eurocarental is looking to be the best,but i would like to know more about the company. it is not europacar,but EUROCAR.

thanks gain.a nn

mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

vips inclues taxand insurance

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

Mine was a smaller local company in Medellin which will not be in bogota. I did not have a km charge - it was unlimited kms and full insurance. I returned the car to the same place so no additional surcharge.

9. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:22