We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

We are travelling to a wedding in Columbia in December and staying somewhere "nice" for 5 days only.

Traveller's websites recommend fruit you can peel- bananas/ oranges rather than eating apples peaches etc. To avoid contamination. Also boiled food that is eaten while still hot.

So a salad would be out because it will have been handled and possibly washed with local water.

I'm a little unsure about what to order when out. I don't think a banana will be on a restaurant menu.

I know I'm a little unique- but does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Washed in the local water??? Oh the horror!

In all seriousness, my suggestion is: eat. The food in Colombia is incredibly fresh and delicious -- especially meats (no interest to a vegan I know) and fruits (and tomatoes are a fruit, technically speaking). I too read the scare articles about eating fruit in Colombia and, yes, maybe some people get a reaction, but the food is handled well and looks clean and delicious. And even foodie local-vores can get food-borne illnesses from the organics-only grocery store.. I ate fruit from roadside stands and lived to tell about it.

It's tough to travel and stay cocooned in a hermetically-sealed germ-free bubble. Yes, there's a risk that you'll eat something that disagrees with your stomach (or points beyond). But relax and enjoy the experience and, especially, enjoy the food.

For the record, I am going to presume you did not mean for your post to come across as condescending as it actually reads. Colombia not a filthy cesspool. It's a modern nation somewhere between the first world and the third world. I found the sanitation levels in Colombia to be quite sufficient, especially in the "nice" hotels in the "nice" parts of cities.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 03:30
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Ditto retrofuturistic.

For crying out loud just use common sense and eat. Stop trying to export your 1st World craziness/paranoia to distant locations

Tranquilo. Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Eating vegan in Colombia (not ColUmbia, thank you) will be a challenge. These guys loooove meat.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

I don t run into many vegans in Colombia but there are tons of fresh fruits and vegtables available- and they are cheap

The water in the major cities is very good, be careful in the smaller tiowns though.

I lived in Colombia fir 3 years and never had a food or water related illness. Although i may have gotten a bit sick a few times from too much aquardiente.

Not sure about the meat the above poster is talking about though, i find most meats outside of the better restaurants to be tough, Colombians tend to over cook them after first pounding them thin. But being a vegan you wont need to worry

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Thanks very much for your advice . I definitely didn't mean to be be condescending at all. Just took what I read on a website and asked a question. I am very excited about our holiday and want to have a great time!

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Thanks very much for your advice . I definitely didn't mean to be be condescending at all. Just took what I read on a website and asked a question. I am very excited about our holiday and want to have a great time!

7. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 23:02
8. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 23:02
Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

Thanks for your information . Looking forward to an exotic holiday!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating vegan and also avoiding gastro illnesses.

No need to thank em 5x ;)

Many moons back during one of my less historic voyages – Colombia - long before Dukoral commercials I was reluctantly introduced to the new to me vegetarian diet . Mostly supermarket raised as a youth and yes made to grow up on a meat and potatoes diet. I was completely ignorant to anything else, most likely to spend my life as a hunter and gatherer type, like my forefathers.

Once I hit Colombia I was quickly indoctrinated into acpm (arroz,carne,papa,maduro) Colombian diet. This seemingly appeared to be all they ate; however during an impromptu visit to a local Bogota public market with one of my hippy mentors, I had an epiphany of sorts, little did I know he was setting me up for a rude awakening, after passing by the fly infested carneceria (meat) section I was ready for a change.

Rather than boring you with some repetitious blog spew - I will enlighten you with an old vegan post:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294073-i1708-k5386…

Buen provecho!

Edited: 30 September 2013, 00:15