We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place from which to explore coffee farms

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place from which to explore coffee farms

Hi all

I'd appreciate any advice on where you think would be the best place to explore coffee plantations in Colombia. I'm interested in learning about the industry as well as the process from bean to cup.

I'm looking at spending about 2-3 days hopefully staying at a coffee farm or at least in the region... Currently looking at exploring from Medellin.

I'm a middle of the road traveller, not looking at splurging but I'm prepared to pay for a good experience.

Any advice would be awesome...

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

I would suggest somewhere in the southwest region of Antioquia; anywhere in the vicinity of Bolívar, Jardín or Jericó. This area is full of coffee farms; within striking distance of Medellin and the aforementioned towns have a cool vibe. I recently spent a couple of interesting days poking about Jericó; amongst other coffee related activities we visited a coffee roaster and the towns coffee co-op.

If you're a dedicated coffee snob like myself; you could really fall in love with this less famous coffee zone.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

Thanks, that's really helpful...

I'm not a coffee snob as yet but I have a feeling I will be by the time I leave Colombia :)

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

...Colombian coffee is a fascinating subject; good coffee is like fine wine, each coffee growing region brings something special to the table...:)

East Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

@playa4u, I had read despite Colombia's huge coffee bean export and name recognition internationally, their café and bean domestic market is of low quality. I would like to be able to explore their high end market but haven't been able to find which farm to go explore in. Would you be able to recommend a place for beans and materials to purchase to make a good cup of coffee in the morning and to bring home as gifts? I don't consider Starbucks a great cup of coffee nor the coming of Starbucks to Bogota a great addition to the premium coffee culture.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

Yes I would defiantly recommend sourcing out your own special blend; my contacts range from small coffee shops to a coffee guru who runs a large coffee roaster; both do their own sourcing, the latter sources quality coffee bean from all over Colombia.

Jericó: Edward Álvarez; www.turismojerico.com

Jardín:Luis David Arango; https://www.facebook.com/CafeMacanas

East Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

Thanks for the information!!

7. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 00:05
Manizales, Colombia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

You may be right pointing out to the lack of quality in the consumption of coffee in Colombia. But there is a very active and exciting group of growers, researchers and entreprenuers developing the best of Colombian coffee.

The "old" coffee triangle Armenia,Pereira and Manizales, are a good point to start. The infraestructure is good for traveling around and at the same time keeps with the traditional way of producing washed coffees.

What type of a traveler are you? Looking into visiting small traditional farms or more in search for a large industrial productio?

While in the area CENICAFE and Recinto del Pensamiento can be good sources frm the stablishment.

More outside of the box? Hacienda Venecia. Really into the small lots, single tiny farms? Cafe Tio Conejo.

Jerico, Colombia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

I guess that the point here is about waht you would like to visit: A Coffee park or a Family Farm that produces coffee. In Antioquia Southwestern is exactly what you can find out. In Manizales you can find a great expo-coffee park

10. Re: Best place from which to explore coffee farms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 00:05