We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

I plan to fly visit Lima in a few weeks time, using a British passport that will expire at the end of July. This shouldn't be a problem when entering Peru, as the passport will still be valid at the end of my trip, but I will fly via Bogota, and I notice that you need to have at least 6 months remaining on your passport before entering Colombia.

Will I be able to transit through Bogota using this passport if I do not leave the secure area in the airport?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

You will be intransit and you wont pass thru immigration - should not be a problem.

I would be concerned about Peru, many airlines dont let you board if you dont have 6 months or more on your passport.

Every airline is different, so possibly not a problem, but i would do everything possible to renew it before i left.

Call the airline asap to get their rules.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

Thanks very much - this was really helpful

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

As above: check with the airline, since it's they who could forbid boarding if they fear they might have to bring you back home again. Since you are in London, why not just play safe and get a new passport now before you leave? The unexpired month or so on the old passport will be added to the ten years the new one will run, so you won't lose out. Since I DON'T live in London or the UK, I paid over the odds last year for the one-day service, but there is also a much cheaper one-week service as well as the standard, which can take up to three, maybe less if you drop in the form by hand at the office in Victoria.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 22:29
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

The airlines utilize IATA's Timatic software to determine travel documentation requirements. You can check for yourself here: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

Looks like you'll be okay.

You can certainly call the airline, but this is the source they will (or at least should) base their answer on. If you're flying AV, not sure I would bother calling.

5. Re: Transit through Colombia on a passport that will expire soon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17