We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

Boynton beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

The U.S. goverment warns americans about traveling on buses in Colombia, so has anyone encountered a problem with traveling to Villa de Leyva, by bus. Also, it looks like it only goes twice daily. Do they run on Good Friday?

Is there another way, like a shuttle service there?

Thanks again for everyones' help.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

Quite frankly, if we listened to everything your government says we'd never go anywhere!

I can assure you that travelling by bus in Colombia is a damn sight more pleasant than doing so in the US.

Yes, there are only a couple of direct services a day. Best to go to the northern terminal of the transmilenio and pick up any northbound bus there that stops in Tunja. Then take a buseta (minibus): they run every 30 minutes or s from the same terminalo. That's what I did a year ago in the opposite direction and I am still alive to tell the tale.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

the bus companies will not go on risky routes for their own safety either.

Boynton beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

Hehe, I took greyhound in september 2010 and I felt more threatened than traveling from Bogotá to Villa de Leyva by Bus. As londinense told you, first go to the Estacion del norte, from there you take a bus to Tunja. Once you are there at the terminal, you get a small bus from Tunja to Villa de leyva. It takes almost an hour.

About the day. I am sure there should be buses that day to Tunja but not with the normal schedule. Check first before going to the Portal del Norte because it could be difficult to find availability.

Check the phone book and call to the Bus services such as Los lIbertadores, Gacela, and Omega. They provide you the info you need

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

I agree with all of you: there is not problem travelling from Bogotá to Villa de Leiva. Feel confident! You are in a normal city and we have the same risks as in Paris or Rome. Colombia is a lovely country with lovely people!

Boynton beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

Thank you for the information. How long shoud the whole trip take? Would traveling on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday help make it less crowded and be a more normal travel day, or will it be the same, because of the holiday weekend?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

In Colombia the holidays for Easter are on Thursday and Friday. Monday is not a holiday. So, If you travel on Saturday, for sure you are going to find public transport less crowded. But in Villa de Leyva you are going to find lots of people.

The distance between Bogotá and Villa de Leyva is 177 kms. The bus trip could take 3 hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

I am new to this form and was wondering if someone would recommend bus journey from Bogota/Medellin to Barranquilla. I just want to experience Colombia at it's purest.

Also which other cities should I visit besides Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena.

Thanks,

Fahd

Edited: 08 April 2011, 13:09
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

you really need to read,say a lonely planet guidebook to find this info out,or you'll miss out on too much!-no offence intended.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel by buses in Bogota to Villa de Leyva?

Thanks for the advice

Get answers to your questions about Bogota